Anyone overweight with twin pregnancy?April 18 2011 at 4:01 PM
|Brigid (no login)|
Dr. called today and said I have to decide by tomorrow whether to transfer one or 2 embies. Transfer is Wed. I wasn't home when he called, so I couldn't ask questions. He will call again tomorrow, but my husband and I need to have some idea what we want to do by then. He said there are many good quality embryos, so chance of twins is high if we transfer 2. I hadn't really thought about it before, as I just thought he would tell us what he recommends and I would do that. Anyway, I am about 50 lbs. overweight, so I am concerned about how miserable (as well as possibly risky) a twin pregnancy would be. I read that women pregnant with twins should gain about 10 lbs. more than with a single. While 10 lbs. doesn't seem like much, I don't know how realistic that is. With my last pregnancy, I gained about 50 lbs., but I started out 50 lbs. lighter (so, yes, I now weigh what I did the day I delivered my daughter. Yuck!) Most of my pregnancy weight was water-- it poured out of me after she was born,and I lost about 40 lbs. in a couple of weeks. So, though I plan to be more careful about what I eat this time, and exercise more, I don't know if I can avoid retaining water. But, maybe that would be the same with twins? Would I retain even more water, or just more weight from extra baby and placenta? I gained most of that weight in the first trimester. I actually lost a few pounds in the middle, as I was sick all the time. I did gain more at the end, which was when I felt the worst. So, has anyone else had twins while overweight? How did it go?
I am okay with the idea of raising twins, and it would save me the trouble (and money for transfer!) of being pregnant a second time, and, of course, it would raise our chances that at least one would stick. It's really just the pregnancy I'm concerned about. Oh, and I'm 42, 43 next month, so it also occurred to me that I might rather have 2 while I'm this age, rather than another pregnancy when I'm even older.
Any thoughts from experienced twin moms?
- No advice, but wonder the same thing - SamanthaL on Apr 18
- (pg ment) Yes, I was - BlessedThistle on Apr 18
- Wow, my pg experience w/twins much like yours . . . - Maggie in VA on Apr 18
- Speak with your OB - Lovethebeach on Apr 18
- Yes - E&H on Apr 18
- Re: Anyone overweight with twin pregnancy? - Newbie on Apr 18
- I am 26 weeks with twins and 54 - KellyCA on Apr 18
- Wow, I never thought of this - Orchid on Apr 18
- Re: Anyone overweight with twin pregnancy? - Brigid on Apr 19
- Well, we transferred 2 - Brigid on Apr 20
- I'm 32 weeks tomorrow with twins...m - Hope2009 on Apr 19
- Well, there are different medical categories: overweight, obese, morbidly obese - Anonymous on Apr 20
- BMI 25-29.9 is overweight, 30+ is obesity, 40 and above is morbid obesity - Anonymous on Apr 20