Return to Index  

This was on our local news tonight...m

May 19 2011 at 11:39 PM
Hope2009  (no login)

Response to BC (Canada) Supreme Court strikes down anonymity for donors

a young woman who was conceived using DS has won her Supreme Court case now making it illegal to use anon DS or DE's. The clinic we worked with...and two others I contacted on the West Coast..in Vancouver required that the egg donors be 'known' so this isn't even an issue for DE's..at least in the clinics in BC I contacted.

DE is not illegal in Canada....but under the current legislation you can not compensate the known donors for their services...that is the illegal part. We can however pay expenses pertaining to the cycle itself. When we were thinking of first doing a DE cycle we seriously contemplated going down to Seattle WA and working with one of the clinics that had in house donors however in the end I'm really glad that we chose to stay in Canada and I'm really glad that we got to know our donor...I have so much to tell our children some day and know how to reach our donor if they choose to ever meet her.

In the news report they said that it was unfair that children who are adopted are able to access records to their genetically linked parents but using the DS and DE process up to now didn't provide the same access. As far as bringing US donors to Canada to cycle...well I know that our clinic still would require that we 'know' the out of country donor...it's part of the process and they keep these records as well.

I hope this helps to clear this up....guess this wouldn't be good if you were wanted an anon donor and were also no tell but worked for us.

Blessings from Hope

Respond to this message   
Responses

1. As a practical matter . . . - Maggie in VA on May 20
    1. not necessarily - Catherine on May 20

Find more forums on FertilityCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement