Need Advice on first & last DE cycleAugust 7 2011 at 10:11 AM
|Aaren22 (Login aaren22)|
To give you a little background . . . .After 3 poor IVF cycles last year my husband and I decided to move on to DE. I have pretty much every issue known to man and the biggest problem is my AMH of 0.2 at age 30. My husband is 46 has severe male infertility with low everything and a sperm DNA fragmentation of 27% when we checked last.
We decided to leave our previous doctor and move on to one that is well known in Dallas for doing donor cycles. He probably does 3 times as many as other doctors. He has a very nice large practice with 3 other RE's that is run really well. My only issue is that I've now learned that even though he is no longer affliated with the presbyterian hospital he still has very conservative views and will not let us use donor eggs and donor sperm.
My husband and I are only willing to do Donor one time, our insurance does not cover anything. So our thought is if we find a donor that gets about 20 eggs we want to do 5 of those eggs with quality donor sperm so that we have a backup no matter what. Of course I would rather have a child with a biological link to my husband but I also want to end up with a child at the end of this. My husband has no reservations at all with this and it is actually fine with him if we use all donor sperm, which I do not want to do.
Our doctor keeps saying how the egg is 90% of it and we don't need to do donor sperm back up but the problem is on our very first IVF cycle where I actually got 4 eggs none of them fertilized due to such a poor sperm sample. My husband's quality has improved since then but why risk it? I am comfortable with this doctor and I do respect his professional opinion but I just don't know if I wouldn't regret taking it.
We did interview another RE which I did not feel as comfortable with but he is well known with a good company and he will do donor egg & donor sperm if we ask for it. He also doesn't think we need to do it but I just don't know. Am I going overboard here? Is it unreasonable to want to do both just in case? What would you ladies do? Thanks in advance.
- I strongly disagree with your RE & I think you are right (children ment.) - Ariadne on Aug 7, 2011
- Thank you for your response - aaren22 on Aug 7, 2011
- Can you post where you ordered the test - futurebeauty on Aug 7, 2011
- DNA Fragmentation test - aaren22 on Aug 7, 2011
- My Dh had 45.9% sperm DNA fragmentation and we were able to turn - Kacee on Aug 7, 2011
- Re: My Dh had 45.9% sperm DNA fragmentation and we were able to turn - aaren22 on Aug 7, 2011
- We have done 8 DE cycles and didn't think we could afford it either, on(child) - Kacee on Aug 7, 2011
- Great protocol, we also used it and turned around - LizLA on Aug 7, 2011
- Hi Aaren and Welcome! - Mrs. M on Aug 7, 2011
- will they also do ICSI? - Lisa on Aug 8, 2011
- make sure they understand - anonymous on Aug 8, 2011
- A few thoughts . . . (kids ment'd) - Maggie in VA on Aug 8, 2011