Return to Index  

A few things to think about (child ment, prev m/c ment)

August 15 2011 at 9:26 PM
Julie  (Login JuJules)

Response to Bear with me ... rookie questions

I think you are going to hear a bunch of different things. It sounds like you are considering an agency donor. There are some clinics that also have donors. If you use a clinic donor and are a single recipient, you can have "all in" costs of as under $8,000 or over $20,000 per cycle. As a rule, single recipient cycles where an agency donor is used is going to be more expensive than when clinic donors that are split cycles (more than 1 recipient). Reasons to use agency donor include if you wanted non-anonymous donation (ie some kind of contact with the donor) or if you had some very specific donor requirement -- there is typically more selection on the agency side. Reasons to use a clinic is if anonymous donors are okay and price. Some clinics have no pictures of their donors, some clinics have baby/childhood pictures, some clinics even have adult pictures but most clinic donors are anonymous. There is also the option of shared risk which a number of clinics have. That said, shared risk plans are not all the same -- some cover everything, some cover only partial costs. Only 1 that I know of is a 100% guarantee or your money back -- Shady Grove in the DC area -- for $29K you get 6 fresh cycles to take home a live baby or your money back. Not to be a downer, but the thing about DE is that it does not work 100% -- the overall success rate is somewhere between 50%-60% which is where the shared risk option may be attractive. I am not completely familiar with the clinics in the Boston area but if you want shared risk you might have to travel.

For me, I did 3 fresh DE cycles and 2 FET cycles. I got pregnant on first DE cycle but m/c at 9 wks, no frosties on that single recipient cycle. BFN on my 2nd fresh DE cycle along with the FET for that cycle - again was a single recipient cycle. Switched to SG and did a 1 for 3 split (1 donor, 3 recipients)DE cycle and got pregnant on the FET for that cycle. I did that at SG. I always used an anonymous donor which was the right thing for my family. I now have a 9 month old little girl.

My single recipient cycles were $20K including all donor fees, donor meds, donor u/s, my u/s, donor retrieval, my transfer and my meds. The donor fee was around $3K -- I think. Recipient meds are not that expensive -- I think the biggest cost is if you get pregnant you have to take the progesterone and estrogen for about 12 weeks. If your clinic is saying $12K I would ask specificially what is in there -- donor monitoring, retrieveal, transfer, donor meds, your monitoring? I don't have much advice on agencies since I only used clinic donors.

I am sure more people will chime in with their thoughts. Good Luck!!

This message has been edited by JuJules on Aug 15, 2011 9:31 PM

Respond to this message   
Find more forums on FertilityCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement