Sorry, I worked late yesterday and today and so haven't checked in. This exact thing happened to me, and I went with another person who'd already been picked. Note that I kept calling Marylou, and she got a little put out. She's not the most gregarious person out there. I then called Brandi at corporate to complain b/c I was on hold and felt they should have made the other folks put down a deposit or something. That's when she told me about the donor I ended up using. Someone else had just picked her, and she hadn't been up on the website.
My basic thought process was this: If I were adopting, I'd be picking up the kid and not getting to have a say in anything. So......
Actually, I think the one I ended up with was better than the other one that I'd been on hold for and then had the bailing incident. It's just my gut feeling. My thing was she'd had success, and looked cute and happy and seemed to have some things in common with me.
So, I say, if you are really ready to get going and have a 2nd choice that you do like, go with that. Now, there was one gorgeous donor on there (blond/blue-eyed) that I feel would have been more popular, but her Mom passed from breast cancer at about 40. So, be careful and make sure to read the whole profile. That was a deal breaker for me.