Return to Index  

I just got this from the Ashermans website. It appears that

November 29 2011 at 10:01 PM
Kacee  (Login Kacee56)

Response to scarring & Ashermans

it can detect but not in all cases, as it does not give as much clarity and specificity provided by an HSG.

4. How can I be sure that I actually have Asherman's Syndrome?

The best way to diagnose Asherman's Syndrome is by visualizing the interior of the uterus. This can be accomplished using a diagnostic hysteroscopy or through the performance of a hysterosalpingogram ("HSG"). A diagnostic hysteroscopy involves the dilation of the cervix and the insertion of a tiny scope that enables the doctor to see inside the uterus directly. An HSG is a more indirect method of diagnosis and is performed by inserting a small catheter about the width of a ballpoint pen into the cervix and then injecting radioactive dye through the catheter and up into the uterine cavity while performing an x-ray. Using this procedure, the doctor can get a very detailed picture of the interior of your uterus and can note any areas of scarring. In some cases, however, the scarring is so severe that the dye simply will not flow into the uterus at all because it is blocked with scar tissue. It is also not uncommon for a woman with Asherman's Syndrome to have a cervix that is so scarred that the catheter is not able to be inserted at all in which case a diagnostic hysteroscopy is recommended. Some doctors have suggested the use of sonohystograms (an ultrasound that is performed after sterile saline has been flushed up into the uterus similar to an HSG) but the general consensus seems to be that although this method can certainly reveal the presence of scar tissue in a general manner, it lacks the clarity and specificity provided by an HSG.

Respond to this message   
Responses

1. thanks for the info - Dee on Nov 29, 2011
    1. The HSG is the one with the dye, not saline. nt - Kacee on Nov 30, 2011

Find more forums on FertilityCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement