All I really want to do is:
1) Restore my house which was built in 1750. To really do it all the way would probably cost $1 million which is twice what I paid for it at the top of the real estate market in 2006 and is $600K more than I could sell it for today.
2) Buy and preserve some other old properties in my town that are threatened.
3) Buy beach property somewhere -- maybe Block Island, RI or Squirrel Island, ME (a private island that only has summer residents).
4) Buy a pied-a-terre in NYC (I miss living there!)
5) and then, most importantly, inspired by your post, I will help pay for IF treatments for the many, many couples who are going in debt up to their eyeballs.