Return to Index  

Religion/faith?

April 27 2012 at 1:10 PM
anonymous  (no login)

Over the years I have slowly given up any sort of faith I had -- I was raised Christian but quickly felt a disconnect with that. For a long time I was quite spiritual and had a more Buddhist sensibility. But over the last 8 years I have embraced atheism and it feels most honest to me. I have tried and tried inside myself to find some "higher being" but that being never has responded (I don't mean has not followed my commands, I mean...responded in any way with a feeling or anything else).

In my gut it makes no sense that any higher being could be in charge and be all powerful but allow so much cruelty to happen to the innocent in this world.

But, it's hard to find comfort in life as a 100% secularist. I am thinking of joining a Universalist church which embraces atheists...Ha!

Anyone else out there like me?

My experiences with IF have made it clear that the "feelings" and senses we get that there may be someone else in charge or that anything happens for any reason at all is pretty bogus.

Respond to this message   
Responses

1. Yes, I began my journey back to faith at a UUC. (kids ment) - Maggie in VA on Apr 27
  3. Barging over from other board - Alli on Apr 27
  5. My mom= Catholic, my dad = Muslim, me= tbd? - Christine on Apr 27
  7. Same here (children ment) - BBG on Apr 27
    1. Grrr, can't edit cause I didn't log in first - BBG on Apr 27
    2. You articulated all my feelings so well (please don't read if you are religious) - anon (minniet) on Apr 27
      1. The funny thing is, I prefer being around religious people - BBG on Apr 27
        1. I still believe we can all get along! :) - birdy1600 on Apr 27

8. Unitarian-Universalist - Hudson on Apr 27
    1. A safer word to use - BBG on Apr 27
      1. Agnostic vs Athiest - Emilyr99 on Apr 28
        1. Oh Emily, I know! - BBG on Apr 29
          1. GAH! Hate when I don't log in and then can't edit - BBG on Apr 29

9. I love Unitarian! - birdy1600 on Apr 27
  11. Perhaps God Works through people - Anon7 on Apr 27
  13. Secular humanism and Unitarian Universalists - Renata on Apr 28
  15. Hmmmmm..... - Emilyr99 on Apr 28
  17. Just thought I'd add... (child ment) - Emilyr99 on Apr 28
Find more forums on FertilityCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement