Return to Index  

Anyone else see this article about ICSI? (MFI, birth defects mentioned)

May 7 2012 at 5:13 PM
Hopeful in Delaware  (Login hopefulindelaware)

Hello Women,

So an Australian study was released Saturday that studied whether there was an increased incidence of birth defects from fertility treatments. The study concluded that IVF alone did not increase the chances of birth defects, but when ICSI was used, birth defects were more common.
I'm using Shady Grove, will have our transfer at the end of the month, and they don't let you opt out of ICSI if you are in the shared risk program, which we are.

My feelings are mixed on this. I was alarmed at first, but after having read the article again carefully, I'm thinking again. We do not have male factor infertility, and the article suggests that it's possible that the higher incidence of birth defects is caused by injecting less-then-perfect sperm into the egg, meaning that it's the sperm quality that's causing the defect, not the procedure itself. So perhaps injecting healthy sperm into the egg is fine. This is possibly the case, but certainly not guaranteed.

I've already requested to speak with my dr. about it, but I'd love to get you thoughts on this, too. Does this article this make you wary of ICSI? Or do you think it's less of a concern if the sperm is healthy?

Plus just wanted to pass on in case it's interesting or relevant for others.

Article:http://hosted2.ap.org/APDEFAULT/3d281c11a96b4ad082fe88aa0db04305/Article_2012-05-05-Test-Tube%20Babies/id-2ea82f91ca1b4a108b079914d06bb202

Thanks!

Respond to this message   
Responses

1. Re: Anyone else see this article about ICSI? (MFI, birth defects mentioned) - Anonymous on May 7
    1. Thanks! n/t - Hopeful in Delaware on May 7

2. Link tot the entire article on NJM - Seymo on May 7
    1. Thanks - Hopeful in Delaware on May 7
      1. I was not thrilled - Seymo on May 7

3. Re: Anyone else see this article about ICSI? (MFI, birth defects mentioned) - Antonialisa on May 7
    1. Thanks, Antonialisa! - Hopeful in Delaware on May 7

4. yes, did not what to mention but sent to friend in the RE business - birdy1600 on May 7
  6. don't worry (babe ment) - THK on May 8
  8. Always use ICSI - DH's sperm have low motility (pg mentioned) - Christine on May 8
  10. frozen eggs - Jen in TN on May 8
  12. Yeah, this has thrown patients on another forum . . . (kids ment) - Maggie in VA on May 8
Find more forums on FertilityCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement