Return to Index  

Twins at 48, via GS though

May 8 2012 at 4:36 PM
BBG  (Login biogal)

Response to POLL: How many of you wonderful Ladies are in your upper forties??? and

I can't speak to the pregnancy health aspect, but I can say something about the after-baby-gets-here health aspect. Get yourself in shape!! I have never been so run ragged in my life and I come from the perspective of having a very brutal career, both physically and emotionally. I wish now that I had dedicated a year to getting in tip top physical condition, as in, I'd love it if I could run a marathon or pick up my husband and lift him over my head. Seriously.

I have seen people in their 80s playing tennis and climbing mountains, and people in their 30s and 40s looking like they are at death's door. Genetics plays a role but the real factor in most cases is lifestyle choices. Just as soon as I can catch my breath, I have big plans to get in shape so I can be one of those 80-somethings who feels energetic and alive.

One of the criticisms of older parenting often includes a line like "but how are you going to play ball with your kid" and while that is a completely INANE comment which assumes that all young parents play ball with their kids, or even that playing ball is the epitomy of good parenting (spit!), looking at the larger picture, yes, it is good if you keep yourself in good shape so you will not be distracted by health issues and can focus on your time with your kids, and also so you can be here for them longer.

I had 10 years of infertility where I could have been concentrating on physical fitness but I was too depressed. There's nothing I can do about that now, except hope that I can inspire others who are similarly depressed and feel paralyzed. If a person is persistent there is a very good chance they will have success and it's a good idea to be ready to pull all nighters and lift 50 pounds and carry it around all day (more weight if you take into account that it's a live load and it's fighting you).

Age is mostly just a number. At 48 and assuming no underlying health issues, I think you could do just fine in pregnancy, but if you are like most of us, you will probably need to put in some extra effort to get healthy and stay healthy. Good luck!

This message has been edited by biogal on May 8, 2012 4:39 PM

Respond to this message   
Responses

1. *like* (kids ment) - BlessedThistle on May 8
Find more forums on FertilityCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement