Return to Index  

Slavery

May 30 2012 at 3:04 PM
diaphanta  (no login)

Response to Maybe bearing children out of wedlock, Diaphanta

I use the example of slavery because :

It was a real debate in the past but now it is universally acknowledged to be wrong (unlike the debates here around whether or not to tell the child of their DE origins)

and

the point of view that ALL slavery was wrong - and it should not be left to individual choice to own slaves - was the point of view that won out.

Therefore it is possible to have a point of view within a debate that sounds pretty uncompromising - in this particular case, that the right thing to do might be to tell your children about DE whatever your individual circumstances - and that this point of view could well be the view that wins out. 'Live and let live', while sounding attractive and a way of embracing all points of view is not always the morally right stance to take.

I do accept that there is a real debate on these boards, but I do not accept that having the point of view that all children should have their right to know their origins is an unacceptable, insensitive or illogical one to hold and I felt that the anonymous poster was treated unfairly in this regard.

As for the DCN promoting that some cultures may not be able to tell their children about their donor origins - well, much as I applaud the wider aims of the organisation, I do really disagree with that! Sounds pretty dodgy to me - some children should have rights, others do not because it will be too difficult. We should be working to protect the rights of all children and challenging all cultural oppression wherever it lurks...

Respond to this message   
Find more forums on FertilityCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement