Return to Index  

Doesn't necessarily have to be your blood type . . .

May 31 2012 at 10:24 AM
Maggie in VA  (Login maggie1961)

Response to Re: Question - is blood type of the donor of major significance?

Do a search and you should find charts online to show what blood types can result from parents with specified blood types. For example, I'm O-, so I'm pretty much a blank slate -- I could choose a donor with my blood type (which make for a very limited donor pool) or either allele of my partner's blood type.

http://www.biology.arizona.edu/human_bio/problem_sets/blood_types/inherited.html

This actually turned out to have been an issue for me inasmuch as I gave the Czech clinic where I cycled my blood type, but we were using DS and my partner actually did not know his blood type (and I planned to tell, so I didn't care). But when I didn't specify a blood type for my SD, the clinic unilaterally decided to choose O- donors (remember, I'm a blank slate, so ED had to be O-, too) as I didn't state that it didn't matter, and only about 8% of Caucasians are O-, so that greatly limited the donor pool and I got a BFN.

When I realized what happened, I was so paranoid that they might overlook or ignore a request that blood type didn't matter that I went to Wikipedia and looked up the largest blood type group for central Europe and gave that as DH's blood type for my second cycle. BFP.

All-in-all, even though we're pretty much tell to the world due to my age, I wish we had known DH's blood type -- he has had something like five major surgeries; how the heck did he not know? I've donated gallons of blood, so it's hard to imagine not knowing.

GL!

Maggie (in VA)

This message has been edited by maggie1961 on May 31, 2012 11:47 AM

Respond to this message   
Find more forums on FertilityCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement