Return to Index  

Oh, I know that is nervewracking. (clinic mix-up mentioned, DD mentioned in detail)

June 1 2012 at 2:57 AM
thesameboat  (Login thesameboat)

Response to can't believe I'm posting this - donor # discrepancy (pg ment)

I finally told my story here the other day about DD being born and finding out the day after her birth that she didn't have a blood type compatible with any of us, me, the donor or DH. We were sure that we'd been given the wrong embryos and I was afraid we would have someone try to take her away. (Just for the record, blood type was almost our ONLY criteria. Hair and eye color not at all. Height was number 2. Some type of higher education and being proven were the only other things on our list. We did not see a picture as that isn't an option where we cycled.) I thought we'd be easy to match.

In our case, we finally contacted the clinic a year after her birth and asked for all of their information on the donor (just 'for our records' we said) and it turned out that what they had sent us was wrong. When the doctor had typed it in the email he sent us, he had put my blood type in place of the donor's. Everything else was the same. We notified them then and they apologized profusely.

Try to stay calm. Maybe it is just what you suspected above and the numbers are all that have changed.

However, if it isn't, I just want to tell you that we thank God every day for the mix-up. No child could be more ours. We would never have picked our donor if we had had her correct blood type. I have no idea why they suggested her to us. The doctor who made the mix-up left the clinic just weeks later, so there's no one to ask. The day after she was born, my husband came in the room and I whispered the blood test results and cried. He leaned over and kissed her and said it was even more of a miracle that she found us, her real parents.

Respond to this message   
Responses

1. thanks for sharing your experience - anon for this one for now on Jun 1
Find more forums on FertilityCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement