Return to Index  

Yes, stats definitely vary by clinic - and donor (success ment)

September 13 2012 at 12:14 AM
Kenny  (Login Kenny2006)
Moderators

Response to I was in your shoes... (BFP mentioned)

We used a 3x proven donor (3 sets twins) for our first cycle that worked, and we put two in - we got twins too. We had been given a 50/50 chance of twins but I had failed two fresh DE cycles prior, so we rolled our eyes on that one and almost insisted on THREE embies! Gulp. When we decided to try for a sib, we did single embie FETs and mc'd twice (chemical and a blighted ovum), due to undiagnosed structural uterine issue, and clotting and immune issues, which we later fixed, then we used a 5x proven donor for another fresh cycle that resulted in our DD2. We KNEW we didn't want twins again (horrible pg, preemie birth, last time around) and so we only put in one embie - which became a healthy full-term singleton - even though our RE and embryologist pushed us HARD to put in two embryos.

I can't recommend strongly enough that you do an eSET if you are at a good clinic with decent stats. Success rates at the good clinics are not vastly different when transferring one vs two embies, so what you are really buying yourself with the second embie is a MUCH higher chance of twins (going from 1% chance, to 20-50% or even higher depending on the clinic and donor). Trust me even if it doesn't work and you do an FET (or heck even two), you will be ahead of the game by avoiding almost certain NICU time for your babies in doing the twin thing.

I've done it both ways and truly, I really believe we should only put in one embryo routinely with DE, almost across the board. The difference in my pgs, kids' births, and health even to date (my almost five year olds still have reflux as a result of being preemie, and I believe have had developmental delays they might not have had, had they been singleton). So a final appeal - think of those future kids' health: it's SO much better for them, to arrive one at a time.

GL to you, I did many cycles before having my twins so I know how soul crushing ttc is and also how tempting to stack the deck just as much in your favor as you possibly can. Just please don't do something impulsive that you may regret later. ((Hugs)) and good luck,
Kenny

Respond to this message   
Find more forums on FertilityCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement