Return to Index  

My experience . . .

February 22 2013 at 12:34 PM
Maggie in VA  (Login maggie1961)

Response to DE moms over 45: Does the self-consciousness go away when the baby comes?

I was 48 when I carried and gave birth to my twins. I did have a few strange encounters and occasional long stares from other middle-aged women, but no really direct probing questions. I live in the D.C. area where women often postpone childbearing and IVF is ubiquitous and awareness is high. That being said, I do not think the average person who hasn't experienced IF or had a close friend of relative who has done so is really aware of DE vs OE IVF. They just know a Miracle Occurs in the fertility clinic.

On the pink board, we were having a conversation a few weeks ago, and someone mentioned a brilliant response to intrusive questions: Why do you ask? I need to remember that for many occasions, not just ones around ttc.

That being said, when I was 48, people were often surprised to learn my age. I had had some IPL and Juvederm around age 46, but it was mostly my mom's genetics -- I looked at an old photo of her at 49, and she looked better than me with no fancy creams or medical interventions, and she smoked to boot. Fast forward three years of sleep deprivation, lack of exercise, and the stress of caring for twins, and I doubt anyone's going to be very surprised by my age. Yeah, I'm considering some more laser treatment, but it's hard: that money could buy us a vacation or go in the kids' college accounts.

Take care,

Maggie (in VA)

Respond to this message   
Responses

1. Thanks, Maggie! - HappyBean on Feb 22, 2013
Find more forums on FertilityCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement