Respond to this messageReturn to Index
Original Message
  • Update
    • funintheskies (Login Funintheskies)
      Posted Nov 28, 2010 3:29 PM

Here's the update. I couldn't sleep last night, and I arrived at my clinic a full hour early. Luckily, the head embryologist was there, and she spent considerable time with me. The embryologist said she, too, was concerned about whether I should transfer two, given that I have a 3-year-old son and I'm now a single parent. Apparently, my case was a source of discussion among the embryologists.

As such, she answered many questions for me. In general, the clinic quotes frozen blasts results of 70 percent pregnancy rate with subsequent 30 percent multiple rate, both donor and non-donor. (They've actually had a noticeable uptick in identical twins in the last year, even resulting in one set of quads.) The clinic's FET results for 2010 involving donor and non-donor and blast and 3-day transfers were: 26 transfer, 12 pregnancies or 46 percent, and four sets of multiples or 15 percent of 26 and 33 percent of 12. She also said something strange about the frozen transfers resulting 27.9 percent multiple implantation.

As of this morning, I had in play: one blast, two early blasts, one cavitating morula and one 12-cell.

I asked the embryologist about her gut feeling on my situation. She expressed concern about the risks of twins but said her overall feeling was to go for two to transfer. She expressed a little concern about my age but more about just wanting me to be done with cycling. Her hope is that by transferring two, I'll get one and be done with cycles.

Shortly after, the embryologist looked up and gave me an update on my donor's most recent fresh cycle. The clinic retrieved 23 eggs but only fertilized 12 at the request of the recipient couple, leaving a cohort of eight embryos. On day five, the clinic transferred only one embryo, again at the request of the recipient couple for religious reasons. The embryo was not a blast, and the couple had nothing to freeze. The recipient ended up with pregnancy for a very short period, but it did not remain viable. The male was a youngish man as was the female.

Based on those results, the embryologist put my chance of twins at less than 20 percent. We also discussed options for refreezing embryos, but she said she has little data. The clinic has reported some successes with refreezes, but it does not use vitrification.

After considerable heartache, I transferred two: a blast and early blast. I wish I could say I left the clinic happy. I actually left conflicted and quite down. Part of it was that being there brought back so many happy memories of doing my last transfer with DH present and the joy of welcoming our son.

Also, my MIL sent me a long e-mail this morning with a long list of concerns about twins. What threw me off was that she had so changed her tune. I previously asked if her if she felt I should risk twins, and she said she would have gladly done so in my new circumstances and joyously welcomed twins. This afternoon, I told her that I would have proceeded very differently from the beginning if she had expressed such strong concern early on. This was a real change. Only my MIL plus one friend knows about the cycle, so I feel so on my own.

Along those lines, singleton or twins, I'm bracing myself for a backlash if I am successful. That, of course, would be tied to my new status as a single parent who recently lost her spouse.

Anyway, I transferred two with the hopes of getting one -- something the RE also encouraged. Under other circumstances, DH and I would have gladly pursued twins.

So, I'm left to see what the 2WW brings. Thanks in advance for any additional insights, especially on my donor's most recent fresh cycle and my clinic's stats.

P.S. Something I received in the mail on Saturday related to my new insurance benefits does suggest that I'll lose my IF benefits under the new policy in 2011.
    Login Status
  • You are not logged in
    • Login
      Password

Optional
      Provides additional benefits such as notifications, signatures, and user authentication.

Create Account
    Your Name
    Your Email
    (Optional)
    Message Title
    Message Text
    Image Services Photobucket.com
    Options Enable formatted text (Huh?)
    Also send responses to my email address

Find more forums on FertilityCreate your own forum at Network54
     Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement