Respond to this messageReturn to Index
Original Message
  • I really think the ethics of the California Conceptions program are lacking-
    • Piper (no login)
      Posted Aug 3, 2011 12:30 PM

My guess is that this program will be shut down in the near future. This program creates a batch of embryos using donor egg and sperm and then divides this batch of embryos between three recipients. You are "guaranteed" three cycles but not from the same batch- which means that they are creating embryos under the guise of "donor embryos." The only thing that differs between this and The Abraham center in TX which was shut down several years ago, was that the Abraham Center was creating the embryos ahead of time and then letting the couple select. Essentially, this program is no different.

This is different than a traditional shared donor egg cycle and has nothing whatsoever in common with a "donor embryo" cycle, where a couple donates their unused embryos to another couple for family building. donor embryo is a wonderful way to build a family and is also a selfless and wonderful act by the donating recipient. I hate to see the same term used in this way.

The other terrifying thing about california conceptions is that they do not require or even suggest that the recipient have their own attorney.

As far as I am concerned, this program is nothing more than "selling embryos" and has serious ethical challenges. The one thing I do understand, is that treatment is expensive and donor embryo can be a more affordable choice. But creating anonymous embryos to "donate" is not the way to accomplish affordability.

To the original poster:
      on both this and the pink board are suggestions for places that tend to have more active donor embryo programs. The thing that you want to make sure of is that both you and the donating family or person both have your own ART attorney--this is an area where it is necessary!! And good luck.
    Login Status
  • You are not logged in
    • Login
      Password

Optional
      Provides additional benefits such as notifications, signatures, and user authentication.

Create Account
    Your Name
    Message Title
    Message Text
    Image Services Photobucket.com
    Options
    Enable formatted text (what's this?)

Find more forums on FertilityCreate your own forum at Network54
     Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement