I'm at SIRM and I believe that they always go Day 5 if there are more than 6?? eggs that fertilize. Don't quote me on the 6 but I know they have a cutoff. Of course if I wanted Day 3, they'd be ok with that as well. I've read alot of mixed opinions about Day 3 vs Day 5. Some say embies are better off with you vs. in lab, some would counter this by saying this is the easy way out and Drs. do this just to avoid having to give a patient bad news that there is nothing to transfer at Day 5. Right or wrong, I have always asked the questions, made the challenges and then at the end always seem to go with Drs. recommendation.
I know what you mean about being braced for bad news. I was on cloud 9 after getting our retrieval report on Monday. Then I got the call Wed with the Day 3 update and things are still I guess in pretty good shape (3 are pretty much a lost cause, and 8 were 6 cells or greater). I keep reminding myself that 8 is good as I only need one good one. We've never made it to Blast before, but of course that was with OE. Nonetheless I've been holding my breath ever since & praying that I don't show up for transfer tomorrow just to find out there is nothing to transfer.
Best of luck with your transfer. I hope all goes well and you'll be sharing good beta #s soon.