I have been lurking for quite a while as I get ready for my first DE cycle. This has been a long time coming. We have had to get through some hurdles and they seem to keep coming.
I had DH do the sperm fragmentation testing in September 2011. We found he was on the borderline of okay and not okay so our RE recommended seeing a urologist. The urologist did some more testing and figured that DE had a nodule on his prostate. This resulted in finding out there was an infection there. We figured this out in December. So late December, DH starts antibiotics and continues with the high doses of Proxeed and antioxidants that I found on this board. Our RE said that semen should be ready to use by end of April which is when our retrieval is scheduled for.
Well, just last week we learned that DH has a melanoma which will need to be operated on. We are frustrated as there seem to be many obstacles in our way. We were hoping things would be easy after 3+ years of OE trying. I decided that DH should have a sample frozen before the surgery and my RE agreed so that is being done. RE said that they don't know for certain if anesthesia affects sperm.
if you were me, would you wait to do the cycle 3 mos. after the surgery so we have hopefully healthy, fresh semen? Some things I am thinking about as I make this decision is I have spent 7 months so far waiting for this cycle since our original DNA frag testing so I am chomping at the bit here. Also, my RE has said that they would look at DH's fresh sample as well as the frozen on the day of retrieval and make a choice. We also talked about only fertilizing a portion of the eggs so we don't use all of them if there is a problem with sperm. Fortunately, my clinic vitrifies eggs so the eggs would be okay if froze some. I have some back-up situations if we get a good amount of eggs. This is a known donor and she has 1 pg from 1 cycle.
So frustrating that we have had to deal with some many obstacles. I am praying for all obstacles to be removed from now on.