It's a tough decision, and I wavered a lot (mc ment, pg ment, child ment)
Zoya2 (no login) Posted Sep 6, 2012 10:25 AM
My husband and I were both staunchly in favor of single embryo transfer for me. We have one child already, so that factored in to our decision. If we did not, we may have decided to go for two.
My RE is at a clinic with a very high success rate, as well as a very high twinning rate for patients who transfer more than one embryo. I think that going with two often means that you really need to be okay with twins (or triplets if one embryo splits - it does happen).
My RE was willing to go with one or two, although his thoughts were that if he were in our shoes, he would do one.
Toward the end of the process, as we were inching closer to retrieval and transfer, I think I finally allowed myself to feel how overwhelming the whole process was. The result was that I just wanted to transfer two. I had been able to stay focused on the end goal until that very last week, when I just lost my mind and forgot about everything my husband and I had agreed upon ahead of time. My husband who is a big math geek went through the numbers with me. The bottom line was that we had 5 blasts on transfer day. Our clinic's stats were around 75% for fresh and I think around 45% for frozen. If you calculate the odds of success over time with single embryo transfer and 5 tries with our specific clinic's odds (1 fresh try + 4 frozen tries), you end up with 98% chance of success.
I would imagine that with multiple blasts at just about any clinic, your odds are going to be very good. As green.elephant mentioned, it really is a whole different ball game with DE. I had multiple m/cs with my own eggs, so I understand the drive to transfer more.
We transferred one. I am pregnant with one. I was pretty sick with nausea and fatigue throughout the first trimester, and that is just now starting to ease up. I imagine I would have felt even worse if I were pregnant with twins. In the end I think we made the right decision for us.