<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

stupid ?, but how much water is a "ton" of water for everyone

January 28 2011 at 10:12 AM
Anonymous  (no login)

I have been trying to increase my water intake and I am wondering if its still enough? I take 8-10 cups a day usually. Are you drinking more? Please share if you know about how much your quantity is in actual measurement. Thanks so much!

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
worldtraveler
(no login)

between 70 and 104 ounces

January 28 2011, 10:14 AM 

so a little over 8 to 10 cups. Feels like a lot though.

Respond to this message   
Dee
(no login)

water myths

January 28 2011, 11:59 AM 

Its a myth that you need to drink tons of water to stay healthy. You can get an electrolyte imbalance if you drink too much.

Respond to this message   
Kenny
(Login Kenny2006)
Moderators

the "8 x 8" rule...

January 28 2011, 12:48 PM 

though needs vary, you need about 8 x 8oz glasses a day to replace lost fluids - so about 64 oz. Here's one link that's helpful:
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283
Other fluids count toward this total though (except for diuretics like coffee).
Best,
Kenny

Respond to this message   
Dee
(no login)

that article

January 28 2011, 1:15 PM 

also states that the "8 by 8" rule is not supported by scientific evidence. Which is what I have always read, as well. That article also states that water needs vary from one individual to the next. Someone who already gets lots of fluids from their diet, might not do well drinking 8 glasses of water a day. It might be too much for them. Water can be toxic in smaller amounts than what you might think. If you start to notice tingling in your legs, you may have an electrolyte imbalance and need to cut back on water.

Respond to this message   
Kenny
(Login Kenny2006)
Moderators

Hm, my drs have told me they've never seen a patient drink too much water

January 28 2011, 4:03 PM 

except for a few "extreme exercisers" who had eating disorders and drank waaay more than the reco we're discussing. I've been curious about this too as I tend to drink a ton of water and worried that it might be a sign of impending diabetes (I'm thirsty a lot despite a fairly healthy/ not high-sodium diet), and in response to my questions (and normal blood sugar results), my endocrinologist, Ob and GP have always said it would be nearly impossible to drink too much b/c I'd be so uncomfortable in trying to do so that I'd stop, and not to worry about it. They also said far better to have a couple of extra glasses that were "not needed" than to not have enough fluids, esp while ttc, pg or bf'ing. Anyway they all said at the reco'd levels (64oz/2L daily) it would be nearly impossible for a healthy adult to have any adverse effects from water (although will admit I've never tried to drink that much liquid at one time - I think my bladder would explode LOL). My drs' recommendations have always been in line with each other - if in doubt that I'm staying getting enough fluids, keep track and get in the 8 x 8. OTOH, if I'm peeing a lot (several times a day, substantial volume, and PALE in color) and not feeling any signs of dehydration - for me that would be headache and tiredness, and when pg contractions, and when bf'ing not enough milk - then I really don't need to worry about it. I don't keep track but for once in a while if I think I'm forgetting to drink enough fluids throughout the day, or if I notice one of the "symptoms" I just ment'd. I still think 64oz of fluids is a pretty good rule of thumb based on my own drs statements, especially given many people don't have stellar diets full of fruit and veggies every day - but then I don't force myself to keep drinking when I feel full, or even keep track all that often so... Anyway, enough from me. Best,
Kenny

Respond to this message   
Dee
(no login)

impossible?

January 28 2011, 6:53 PM 

Your doctors said it was impossible to drink too much water? Your doctors need to go back to medical school. We recently discussed this in my college biology course: People have died from drinking too much water. In fact, there was a woman recently who died from drinking too much water in a water drinking contest, where she was drinking an 8 ounce bottle of water every 15 minutes. Even if you don't drink so much that you die, you can drink so much that it negatively affects your health. It is not normal to guzzle down water all the time. It IS normal to just drink when you thirsty. Listen to your body. If your body says, I'm not thirsty, there is no serious need to drink water.

It is normal to drink only when you are thirsty. And its a myth that you are already dehydrated when you are thirsty. If you were truly dehydrated, you'd wind up in the hospital.

A woman in my Weight Watchers class talked about how she quit drinking water all the time, and discussed the health problems it caused for her with electrolyte imbalance, which resulted in muscle cramps, nausea, etc.

http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/w/water_intoxication/intro.htm

http://chemistry.about.com/cs/5/f/blwaterintox.htm

Respond to this message   
Kenny
(Login Kenny2006)
Moderators

Not impossible, they've just never seen anyone in a normal situation actually do it

January 28 2011, 11:02 PM 

I didn't say my drs had never heard of water intoxication, just that they'd only seen it in at-risk groups (extreme athletes - and I don't think we have many here, as we are generally ttc or pg on this board - or infants, which is not what we're talking about either). I was also pre-med/vet at an Ivy League university and have a lot of biology, microbiology, chemistry, and nutrition education in my not-too-distant past, which confirms what my drs have said about its being a rarity (though bottom line I'd listen to them on this one as I'm NOT a dr). This didn't get more than a passing mention in any of my related coursework though as it's SO UNCOMMON among the general pop, and NOT at the amounts we are discussing (64oz over an entire day). I don't buy that the average person drinks water like the woman in the news story you mentioned about the radio contest (there's a reason it made the news). I think I already said that extreme athletes and infants are at risk, and I am assuming participating in the type of really stupid behavior in that radio station contest you mentioned is very limited - honestly, that one's a Darwin Award candidate if ever I've heard one. The woman posting this question to the board is probably in neither of the generally accepted at-risk groups, and is probably just a healthy person who is ttc and who would NOT have any reason (like kidney disease) to avoid drinking 64 oz water per day. I'm guessing that the woman in your WW class was drinking more than 64oz if she said she was drinking it "all the time" b/c 64 oz is honestly just not that much liquid. She may also have had other health issues as being overweight predisposes one to a lot of other health risks or, even more likely, was drinking a lot more water to try to stay full without eating (a weight loss tip that is often bandied about). FWIW, our glasses at home hold 12 oz of liquid with room to spare, and I don't think my 5 or so glasses of water/milk/watered juice feels like a lot. My teeth are definitely not floating, anyway wink.gif. IMHO, in terms of health risks for us to be concerned about, water consumption is so low on the list as to be totally negligible. We can all make an educated decision about how much we think we NEED to drink, but I don't want people to think that drinking 64oz of liquids over the course of a day can make them ill. And I'll drop it now LOL happy.gif. Best,
Kenny

Respond to this message   
Dee
(no login)

more on water

January 28 2011, 6:54 PM 

Can You Really Drink Too Much Water?

In a word, yes. Drinking too much water can lead to a condition known as water intoxication and to a related problem resulting from the dilution of sodium in the body, hyponatremia. Water intoxication is most commonly seen in infants under six months of age and sometimes in athletes. A baby can get water intoxication as a result of drinking several bottles of water a day or from drinking infant formula that has been diluted too much. Athletes can also suffer from water intoxication. Athletes sweat heavily, losing both water and electrolytes. Water intoxication and hyponatremia result when a dehydrated person drinks too much water without the accompanying electrolytes.

What Happens During Water Intoxication?

When too much water enters the body's cells, the tissues swell with the excess fluid. Your cells maintain a specific concentration gradient, so excess water outside the cells (the serum) draws sodium from within the cells out into the serum in an attempt to re-establish the necessary concentration. As more water accumulates, the serum sodium concentration drops -- a condition known as hyponatremia. The other way cells try to regain the electrolyte balance is for water outside the cells to rush into the cells via osmosis. The movement of water across a semipermeable membrane from higher to lower concentration is called osmosis. Although electrolytes are more concentrated inside the cells than outside, the water outside the cells is 'more concentrated' or 'less dilute' since it contains fewer electrolytes. Both electrolytes and water move across the cell membrane in an effort to balance concentration. Theoretically, cells could swell to the point of bursting.

From the cell's point of view, water intoxication produces the same effects as would result from drowning in fresh water. Electrolyte imbalance and tissue swelling can cause an irregular heartbeat, allow fluid to enter the lungs, and may cause fluttering eyelids. Swelling puts pressure on the brain and nerves, which can cause behaviors resembling alcohol intoxication. Swelling of brain tissues can cause seizures, coma and ultimately death unless water intake is restricted and a hypertonic saline (salt) solution is administered. If treatment is given before tissue swelling causes too much cellular damage, then a complete recovery can be expected within a few days.

It's Not How Much You Drink, It's How Fast You Drink It!

The kidneys of a healthy adult can process fifteen liters of water a day! You are unlikely to suffer from water intoxication, even if you drink a lot of water, as long as you drink over time as opposed to intaking an enormous volume at one time. As a general guideline, most adults need about three quarts of fluid each day. Much of that water comes from food, so 8-12 eight ounce glasses a day is a common recommended intake. You may need more water if the weather is very warm or very dry, if you are exercising, or if you are taking certain medications. The bottom line is this: it's possible to drink too much water, but unless you are running a marathon or an infant, water intoxication is a very uncommon condition.

http://chemistry.about.com/od/howthingsworkfaqs/a/howlightsticks.htm

Respond to this message   
worldtraveler
(no login)

too much

January 28 2011, 8:50 PM 

I think what Kenny is trying to say is that a reasonable person drinking a reasonable amount of water is not going to do significant damage to themselves. And we know that keeping hydrated does have a positive effect on growing the lining. I don't think anyone here is proposing to join a water drinking contest.

Respond to this message   
margolis
(Login margolis)

Yes, I do think that is what Kenny is saying.

January 28 2011, 10:17 PM 

Whereas hyponatremia has sometimes been a problem in endurance athletic events like running marathons, in general, a person going about their normal day is not going to drink too much water unless they are taking it to an extreme, such as a water drinking contest. Nor do I think Kenny was referring to infants either. That's a different story.

But, it is possible to be dehydrated without ending up in the hospital. This has happened to me on a few occasions. It happens when training for am marathon and also sometimes if I don't drink enough and I go on a long flight. It results in a bad headache, bright colored urine, etc. Not anything severe, but it definitely can be avoided if I drink more water/liquids. I once had a really bad gastrointestinal bug. Eventually, with a fever of 104, I walked into the hospital after my final in college. I was very dehydrated and they put in 6 liters and I only weighted 95lbs at the time. But the dehydration isn't what prompted me to go to the hospital, it was the fever. Also, my sister and sister in law both got dehydrated during their pregnancies as they both had severe ms. They were regulars at the ER, getting IVs on at least a weekly basis.

But, the whole point is, this is a "generally speaking" sort of thing. I don't think someone would be in any sort of danger by following an 8X8 sort of rule. I am willing to bet that the weight watchers dieter was drinking extreme amounts of water to try to fill herself up and avoid eating or taking in too many caloric foods.

Respond to this message   
Dee
(no login)

water

January 30 2011, 9:59 PM 

You can get an electrolyte imbalance, even if you aren't in some water drinking contest.

Eight glasses a day might be too much for some people, because you also get water from foods and other beverages that you consume during the day.

Respond to this message   
qwerty
(no login)

I always suspected that drinking raspberry leaf tea helped because of the extra water

January 28 2011, 10:18 PM 

and not so much because of the tea leaves. 3 cups of that tea per day gives a lot of extra uncaffeinated fluid to help the lining.

Respond to this message   
TH
(Login perthkitty)

you are doing fine

January 29 2011, 7:15 AM 

Hi the amount of water you are having sounds great. Don't stress petal you are doing well, TH.

Respond to this message   
Lu
(no login)

Thankyou for the advice

January 29 2011, 4:11 PM 

I appreciate it. I am going to just continue on the 8-10 cups that I have always drank anyways and have done fine with:)

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - stupid ?, but how much water is a "ton" of water for everyone
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on FertilityCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement