similar problem - just 2 vs. 1February 17 2011 at 2:59 PM
|wt (no login)|
All my embies seem to be doing well, six 8-cell, one 7-cell and one 6-cell on day 3 so we'll be doing a day 5 transfer and I just assumed that with a day 5 transfer, they would only transfer one. Now, the doctor says he usually does 2. I'm a single mother with a 4 year old but I have a full-time live-in nanny and my parents are super, super helpful(but live a long way away). I'm just worried about having two on my own plus my 4 year old. Selective reduction of any kind is illegal here and I had heard that there are also clinics in the US that don't like to do 2 to 1 even though it's legal there. Anyway, it seems like such a HUGE risk either way (put in two few and get a BFN or put in two many and have more babies that you can handle). Anyway, still working it out and would love any insights.
How good is your clinic and how good are the blasts?
|February 17 2011, 3:16 PM |
I would look at fragmentation and such... But eventually if twins is not an option I would do only 1.
|February 17 2011, 3:30 PM |
two few vs two many instead of too few vs. too many
I guess I have the number 2 on my brain! Is this a sign?
If twins are not an option for you, I would only do one. Honestly, they can
|February 17 2011, 3:40 PM |
not tell by looking at an embryo, whether it will be successful.
My clinic usually does 2 blasts (pg ment)
|February 17 2011, 4:33 PM |
But I said no, I only want to transfer 1 because I did not want twins. My clinic has a pretty high twin rate from 2 blasts. I am now 15w along with that 1 blast so no regrets here, although we were mentally prepared to come back for a FET if it didn't work.
It sounds like you may end up with a bunch of blasts, so if you have some left to freeze then I would seriously consider just transferring 1.
I transferred one and had success...
|February 17 2011, 6:41 PM |
So I guess I would advise putting in only what your family can bear. But then, I was lucky.
I was more afraid of a BFN than twins....(success ment)
|February 17 2011, 7:06 PM |
...so we transfered two high quality grade one expanded blasts (I was 29 y/o and donor was 22 y/o). I really only 'wanted' one baby at a time, but we ended up with boy/girl twins on our first DE attempt as it was the only attempt we'd get (due to finances) at a cycle.
We cycled overseas and the embryologist mentioned transfering THREE! I had never had a real chance at a pg due to POF, so I had no idea if I had issues or not, but I would never had transferred three. I had a grade two expanded blast of good quality (plus five more blasts).
If you are totally against the possibility of twins (although SET have a small chance of turning into identical twins), then I would only transfer one.
Me: 32 y/o He had an affair, now divorcing. :
TTC'd 4 yrs - POF'er with 1st DE cycle in April '08. TWINS! Embies frozen on day 6: 4 grade two & 2 grade three blasts.
Healthy BOY and GIRL were born in Nov 2008!
I'm with Miracle_Wanted-
|February 17 2011, 8:05 PM |
definetly would take twins over a bfn, but would prefer a singleton. For me, I wouldn't mind raising twins, I would probably just be more of a basket-case during the pregnancy due to the risks involved. At the end of day, you have to go with your gut and do only what you feel comfortable with. No one else can make that decision for you.
Also, wanted to congratulate you on how wonderful your embies are doing! They sound great! Let us know what you decide.
Wow...great embryo update!
|February 17 2011, 8:21 PM |
Congrats!! I think is a personal decision...hard to balance the desire to get a bfp with the risk of multiples. GL with your decision.
What are the clinic's frozen rates?
|February 17 2011, 9:05 PM |
Our fresh SET failed so I made them transfer 2 for the FET. The clinic was sure not happy with me, as they now always encourage SETs for donor cycles (assuming the quality is good). Anyway...their stats for FETs are very good and our embryo quality was good. Perfect b/b twins and enough good embies left that we are donating them to another couple. So, if the ivf lab does a good job with freezing and thawing and you can afford it, you can do back to back frozen cycles if the fresh is a bfn. Good luck!
|February 17 2011, 10:34 PM |
That the advice not to transfer more than you can really cope with is sound. I was advised to transfer only one because I have a bicornuate uterus. I did so and got lucky, but even so he was born at 34 weeks. I shudder to think what would have happened if I had been expecting twins.
Risks can and do materialise! If you really feel that you would be unable to cope with twins, I would transfer only one. There are enough mothers of two on here to show that they are a very real possibiliy.
Single here too, I'd put in one
|February 17 2011, 10:36 PM |
Hey - good luck to you, this cycle looks great! Here's my thought - you already have a 4 year old, and it's looking like you are going to have some embies to freeze. I'd put ONE in. I know that if you get a BFN you will have to go back and spend $3-$4k to do FET, but that's a lot less than raising a baby. Heck, the extra medical care if things were to get complicated w/the pg of twins could cost that. Not to mention that priceless ingredient: TIME.
Best of luck in whatever you decide.
thanks to everyone...
|February 18 2011, 5:22 AM |
for such good, sound advice. Still mulling but I'll let you all know what happens on Saturday.
I would only transfer one in your shoes (and I was, kids, pg, mc)
|February 18 2011, 12:30 PM |
We have three year-old twins from a 2-blast fresh cycle and we wanted a sibling so went through the frozen embryos left from that cycle, having a chem pg (single blast FET) and a mc (2 blast FET). We did a fresh and again only transferred one (despite my RE reco to do two), as my twin pg was really, really scary (we almost lost them so many times) and I delivered at 34w. My DS has lots of lung stuff (every cold seems to last for months and turn to pneumonia or bronchitis) and my DD has severe reflux at 3yo still, that interferes with her ability to do various things (she loves gymnastics but chokes when she goes upside down). So even twins who arrive past the worst dangers can have issues that persist, which I really wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. I love my twins and if I could go back in time of course I would do the same thing again as I can't imagine life without either of them, but for one of the FETs and for the fresh attempt, we did only transfer one to give our next child the best chance at being healthy. I would not have been averse to raising another set of twins (though it would have been REALLY REALLY difficult even with DH a pretty involved dad), but I just didn't want to risk their health - and mine (I also developed preeclampsia and became very ill during that twin pg - it's much more common with twins). In your shoes especially, I would really, really, really only transfer one blast if your clinic has good stats and you will have some to freeze. Even with the best support system, if you have a twin pg and end up on bedrest (I was on bedrest the ENTIRE pg with twins), that's asking an awful lot of everyone else - including your four year-old who will miss so much time with Mom. My singleton pg this time (I'm now 35w+) has been sooo much easier and I'm healthy and present for my kids, which was the most important thing to me. Of course if you end up with twins you will probably all get through it and you will love them both dearly, but I really have to say... it's so much better when it's not just about "getting through it" but enjoying life in the process.
Anyway, I know that was very opinionated and I'm sorry if it comes across too strong, just sharing the benefit of my personal experience... since you asked for opinions
. GL to you, I hope you have a successful cycle and a beautiful, healthy baby! Best,
|February 18 2011, 1:24 PM |
THis was very helpful and I absolutely appreciate your honesty and candor. I didn't even think about the health issues but mostly about the challenges raising two healthy twins. You make a great point about the bed rest. I will definitely think hard before putting 2 in.
|Current Topic - similar problem - just 2 vs. 1|