<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

sperm sorting/gender

April 20 2011 at 8:24 PM
anon  (no login)

Has anyone else done this? Our embryologist did this because my spouse wanted a boy, however, in the clinic I said I really wanted a girl. So he did half & half (half of embryos fertilized with xx, other half fertilized with xy sperm).

I'm just curious, how accurate is this as a form of gender selection?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login Chrismal2)

I don't think its very accurate (children ment)

April 20 2011, 8:59 PM 

I did it as I wanted a boy if possible as I already had girls, I was lucky and got one boy and one girl. Another lady I know wanted girls due to her living in a country where boys had to do National Service and she is pregnant with 2 boys. I do believe that if IVF is done rather than ICSI that there are more boys and ICSI there are more girls - ICSI especially with frozen sperm as we use alot of frozen sperm with ICSI and I see many many ladies having girls.

Respond to this message   
Anon
(no login)

why ICSI

April 20 2011, 9:06 PM 

I wonder why ICSI produces more girls than boys.

Respond to this message   

(Login Chrismal2)

I think because

April 20 2011, 9:20 PM 

girl sperms are stronger and live longer whereas when they are fresh to boys swim faster. So if you do ICSI the embryologist will pick the stronger looking sperm and apparently more girl sperm survive if they thaw them as they are stronger (lets face it we are the stronger sex) so, if you do half ICSI and half IVF maybe you will get girls and boys.

Respond to this message   
Anon
(no login)

hoping

April 21 2011, 12:12 PM 

badly for a girl, but I will take whatever I get, of course.

Someone said here a while back that they did PGD for a female embryo because it supposedly increased their chances of getting pregnant, because female embryos are stronger. I don't remember where that post is now, it was a few weeks back.

Respond to this message   

(Login dressagequeen42)

Re: why ICSI

April 21 2011, 3:06 PM 

don't know for sure. Our DD (DE IVF) was from the ICSI cohort. (I had my embryologist split out icsi and nonicsi embies and freeze them in separate straws since ICSI has some genetic issues (rare) associated with it.) Is it possible that in doing ICSI the embryologist picks the healthiest looking sperm and those are often the ones that make girls? (they contain the "X" chromosome?)

Upon looking at baby Sarah on ultrasound when she was a fetus (very early on) my OB/GYN said, "Oh, this one is gonna make it and I'm getting she's a girl. She's large and healthy with a great heartbeat. Girls always start out healthier than boys."

I think the biological reason for this early advantage is that nature needs more girls than boys to propagate the species. Boys, after all, make billions of sperm in their lifetimes, girls only so many eggs, as we all well know.

Cheers,

lisa

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(no login)

Did you try the in-gender dot com website?

April 21 2011, 8:41 PM 

They have discussions on sperm sorting and gender selection via all different methods if you are curious, and a couple of REs on their message boards who pitch in.

I've never heard of or seen studies that suggest ICSI produces more of one sex than another, in any meaningful way statistically.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - sperm sorting/gender
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on FertilityCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement