<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Where would you recommend doing DE on east coast?

June 18 2011 at 3:17 PM
Mili  (no login)

I have a possible known donor (relative) and I wanted to find out where is the best place to do a donor egg cycle (best docs, labs, etc) on east coast. Please post approximate DE cycle costs if known also.

I have been a Dr. Check patient, but unsuccessful IVFs with them. While I liked Dr. Check, I was not happy with his lab and staff. Both times I went in for ER, they could not get the egg, and I truly feel it is because I had already ovulated by the time they got to me because my ER was always late!!
I do not want to take that chance with a DE.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
birdy1600
(Login birdy1600)

New York City

June 18 2011, 4:48 PM 

Dr. Batzofin of New York Fertility services used to be with SDFC and you can check out his website, his DE while small is very successful for FRESH don't have stats yet on frozen.

OR

New Jersey Clinic I forgot the name but they have success about 69% I think when I was looking. Lab is not as strong as some of the West Coast I hear. But that is hearsay.

Respond to this message   
demomone
(no login)

cornell or nyu hands down

June 18 2011, 8:30 PM 

both have great labs. not sure if either one of them will do a known donor but certainly have trustworthy labs with years of practice and good work and good stats.

Respond to this message   
demomone
(no login)

prices

June 18 2011, 8:34 PM 

I think both Cornell and NYU have same price ranges for DE..using their donor pool..it's around 32,000-35,000 per cycle. That includes all costs. Your insurance may cover certain part of it, as mine did..we ended up with a total bill of $21,000.. after insurance but I was given a frequent flyer discount rate on the DE cycle (not funny).

Respond to this message   
Mauritia
(no login)

think again please ~~~~

July 1 2011, 1:47 PM 

SIRM donor egg has better stats than Cornell and NYU, so why on earth woudl you go impersonal for less chance at success? Can you guess I love SIRM ???

Respond to this message   
LadyMagoo
(Login elseeG)

There are many factors to consider - decision tree (p/g and m/c ment)

June 18 2011, 11:10 PM 

We did several rounds of OE with Cornell, then NYU with no luck. That is not to say they are not good programs - they are. It just didn't work for us. We moved on to Dr. Tortoriello at SIRM-NY and are very glad we did. We did one round of OE with SIRM, again, with no success. My eggs are just up there in age, and the window closed while we were clinic-shopping.

I happened to not like Cornell at all. My RE was very unpleasant and cold. If there was a gentle way of saying something and a harsh way of saying something, she went for the latter. We moved to NYU, where we liked our RE very much (Keefe), but ultimately, the Cornell and NYU protocols were essentially identical, so we moved on to SIRM. We did DE after one unsuccessful cycle there, and transferred a single little girl embie last Saturday, and at least according to the CVS HPT's, we're finally pregnant. That said, I'd say all three labs are comparable. But they are different.

There are key differences to consider. Here a brief summary, as I've experienced them.

1. Open vs Known Donor: NYU and Cornell have anonymous in-house donor pools. Their staff does the matching, based on the criteria you state. I believe NYU will show you a baby photo of the donor. I don't know whether Cornell will or will not show you a baby photo. SIRM does not have an in-house donor program, so you must work through an agency of your choosing to identify a donor. Dr. Tortoriello vets all of your potential donors and gives them a thumbs up - or doesn't. His criteria is strict, and it works.

2. Cost: SIRM: about $35k for the clinic, donor fees, agency fees, legal, etc... Cornell and NYU are about $33k - I think. However, you can do a shared cycle, which comes out to about $18k. That said, if you do a shared cycle and it doesn't work, back on the waiting list you go for a new donor, unless yo uhave some embies on ice.

3. Waiting time: Cornell and NYU wait times were too long for us. Up to a year, I was quoted. Probably longer if you prefer a donor who is not Caucasian, as was the case with us. At SIRM, because you select your donor through an agency and there are countless agencies around the country, it takes only as long as it takes you to find a donor. In our case, we decided to do DE at the end of January and we transferred last week, as I said. We presented several potential donors to our doctor, and he vetoed them all until we got to our actual donor.

4. Genetic testing: If you think you might want to perform genetic testing on the embryos, there are two options. PGD and CGH. PGD (NYU/Cornell) tests a portion of the 23 human chromosomes. Just to give you an idea, had we done genetic testing during our first pregnancy, PGD would have missed it, because the the problematic chromosome wasn't part of the standard PGD panel. Then there is CGH(SIRM), which tests all 23 pairs of human chromosomes. We did CHG ($3000, yikes, ouch) on our embryos. As a result, we knew that 6 of the 11 embryos were healthy. We transferred only one, as a result.

5. Freezing methods. Conventional, slow-freeze (NYU/Cornell), which tends to produce crystals, which in turn tend to damage thawing embies (this is why the success rate for frozen and fresh can differ) or vitrificaiton (SIRM), which is a quick freeze method that does not create these crystals. Success rates between fresh and frozen are comparable. We have 4 genetically healthy embies on ice. We have a good shot at a sibling.

6. Team of doctors vs. one doctor. At NYU and Cornell, even though you have one RE, you might be seen by any of the doctors (or residents) for your appointments. At SIRM, Dr. Tortoriello performs each and every procedure or sonogram on you and your donor. I was very frustrated at NYU and Cornell when doing OE, because different people simply measure differently. It seemed my lining and egg count depended, at least in part, on who was taking the measurements.

7. Convenience. NYU/Cornell see all of their patients in the morning, so I was able to go before work. Very convenient. SIRM sees everyone after 9, so I had to duck out of work. Less convenient.

8. In-house vs Agency: We weren't comfortable leaving the selection up to the clinic. We wanted to play an active role in selecting our donor. Just a matter of personal preferance. We spoke to all of the potential donors on the phone. Of course, you don't have to do that if you go with an agency, although you still can specify the criteria you are looking for. And with agencies, you can see their profiles and photos on line (match.com, except for DE). Not an option with NYU/Cornell. But, if you want an anonymous process, then that may be the better choice. Going through an agency is, without a doubt, extremely labor intensive. Programs with their own donor bank do all of that legwork for you.

People have success with all three programs. All three programs have great stats. You just need to make some threshold decisions. Open vs known, in-house donor bank vs agency, genetic testing, freezing method. These are the factors that mattered to us, anyway. Also, Dr. T is a total sweetheart. He trained at Cornell, then went to Columbia's program, before joining SIRM. SIRM has a national network of clinics.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your decision tree!!

This message has been edited by elseeG on Jun 18, 2011 11:32 PM
This message has been edited by elseeG on Jun 18, 2011 11:22 PM

Respond to this message   
birdy1600
(Login birdy1600)

Very interested in what you said about SIRM

June 19 2011, 3:32 AM 

My friend is going with Batzofin but before she does I am demanding that she ask alot of questions about the quality of his lab. As we all know, even more so that OE, the freezing and FET process is critical to our cycles. Also, of course the selection of the donor and that it is the RE who rules out after agency and you select.

Lady Magoo,
do you think I should tell my friend about SIRM I know she has been with the others and doesn't like the "factory" feel. I don't want to over whelm her, even if I do tell her about a different RE, it will be in a few weeks after she works it through a little more with husband.

Respond to this message   
LadyMagoo
(Login elseeG)

Birdy, yes, I would strongly suggest she see Dr. T

June 19 2011, 6:41 AM 

His stats are slamming, period, but especially on DE. He takes no shortcuts and he will not let a patient use the wrong donor. He vetoed one donor he'd worked with previously because she had been unreliable with the previous couple. He said he wouldn't jeopardize our success by approving her. Another one had a massive cyst that enveloped an entire ovary, caused by the IUD she'd been using. The local clinic cleared her - he rejected her. So, you see, we went through several donors, but we paying Dr. T to keep us from making an emotional decision when it came to selecting a donor. And we ended up choosing the perfect donor. Even a 28-year old only has about 60% healthy eggs, so we had to choose the right person.

He's also super sweet, patient and responsive. I wish we'd found him sooner. He's also more open minded than some of the others. For example, whereas my Cornell RE referred to acupuncture as charlatanism, SIRM has an in-house acupuncturist.

All in all, I think that although Cornell, NYU and SIRM all have top flight doctors and labs, Cornell is on the more conservative end of the spectrum, NYU is a little more towards the middle, still closer to Cornell, and SIRM is more progressive. SIRM has developed/adopted a few different procedures that the others are still considering. Vitrification, case in point. Because SIRM vitrifies - we don't have to worry about losing some embies during a future thaw. CGH is another example. NYU/Cornell only do PGD, and even then, Cornell strongly discouraged us from doing PGD at all. Because SIRM does CGH, we were able to focus only on the health embies. I believe the clinic founder, Dr. Sher, developed CGH.

We also had a kick-a** agency, Giving Hope LLC. I was very impressed and reassured by just how much information they were willing to not only disclose, but research when we were considering donors. All this before asking for anything more than a $1000 deposit. So many other agencies wanted upi to $6500 non-refundable, US dollars as soon as we said we liked someone. And then they would start in with how popular and in high demand the donor was. It was like going to a car dealership or a furniture showroom, where they claim the sale ends tomorrow. Giving Hope really stuck by us, and I've been keeping our caseworker, Katy, informed of our post-transfer progress.

I hope this helps!

This message has been edited by elseeG on Jun 19, 2011 7:02 AM
This message has been edited by elseeG on Jun 19, 2011 6:54 AM

Respond to this message   
Audrey
(Login AudreyJ)

I'm partial to RBA

June 19 2011, 7:40 AM 

I had a great, successful experience at RBA and loved my RE - I was a challenge and he was willing to do anything to make it work. Don't know how much it would be to use your own donor, but a cycle with the egg bank is $16,500 + the cost of meds. The lab is excellent and their success rates are high.

Wishing you all the best.
Audrey

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(no login)

I thought IVF NJ had a great program with high stats (pg ment)

June 19 2011, 8:24 AM 

You can always look at SART.org to see how many cycles a place does per year (I was looking for places that do at least 100 fresh DE cycles per year, that's only @ 2 per week but shows lots of practice, with high stats to support the idea that the lab is very successful). I am also east coast but going westward for next DE cycle though. I was successful at Cooper for DE but they made so many errors they just about gave me a heart attack.

Respond to this message   
Piper
(no login)

RBA

June 19 2011, 11:40 AM 

Probably the best lab in the country and with the egg bank, it is a lot easier to do things on your own time frame...staff and REs are really nice.

Respond to this message   
Mili
(no login)

RBA

June 19 2011, 12:44 PM 

I'm not familiar with that. I'll have to check it out, thanks!

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Where would you recommend doing DE on east coast?
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on FertilityCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement