<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

first donor egg cycle

June 19 2011 at 3:29 PM
bbhoover  (Login bbhoover)

Hi to all - I am so glad to have found this board. I am 41.5, have one failed IVF 11/10 and one successful IVF that ended in a miscarriage at 8 weeks (2/11). We have moved on to donor eggs for many different reasons We are participating in a shared cycle at SGF in Rockville. I am finished with the bcp and lupron and we have now down 4 estrogen IM injections. Does anyone one know if it is ok to have wine during the estrogen injections? My nurse said they discourage but I am wondering about what other's experiences have been. I am fine not to have it but a glass or 2 would definitely take the edge off. Our donor is tentatively scheduled for a retrieval on 6/28 (she just started the stim meds on friday 6/17). Any info or advice would be appreciated. This period of limbo is really tough - at least with my own eggs, I felt like I was doing something, now, I just feel useless. (I have struggled with this decision). thanks for listening!

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Renata
(Login doglvr)

You are anything but useless! (DE twins ment)

June 19 2011, 3:46 PM 

You are preparing your body, mind, and soul to grow, nurture, and parent a child! Just because you aren't in the process of making a bunch of eggs doesn't mean you're useless! I don't know about the wine. Hard to believe a glass would harm anything but don't take my word for it. Maybe someone else can advise. Just wanted to send you some words of support and encouragement. I love my twins, who were conceived with the help of a donor, beyond all reason. It is a very good thing to have this option, even though it comes with moments of pain and sadness over the loss of the genetic connection. Hang in there and let us know how things go.

Respond to this message   

(Login jentenn)

Welcome (success mentioned)

June 19 2011, 3:49 PM 

First of all, welcome! I've found a great deal of support on this board and hope you will too.

As for the wine: I drank moderately right up to the night before my transfer (didn't ask for medical permission, though). I am now 8.5 weeks, and of course I don't drink now. I did notice that once I started the estrogen injections I would feel the alcohol a LOT more, and I would feel hung over after only a couple of glasses. So, you might take it easy. A little may go a long way.

Best wishes to you,

Jen in TN

Respond to this message   
Julie
(no login)

think you will be fine (success ment)

June 19 2011, 4:00 PM 

BB,
I drank wine a couple nights before my successful transfer. We were having a dinner party and I just did not want to call attention to anything since I usually have a glass of wine. I did not want anyone to think I was already pregnant since I was very sensitive to that. I had a couple of glasses on a Saturday night and my FET was on Monday. I did 6 DE cycles (4 at a different clinic and 2 at SG) and had very moderate alcohol during 3-4 of them and no alcohol for the others. So I think a modest amount is fine.

As noted I am a SG grad - I did the shared risk cycle and got pregnant in the FET of my first shared cycle there. Glad you found this site -- there is great support here. GL

Respond to this message   
bbhoover
(Login bbhoover)

thanks to all

June 19 2011, 6:55 PM 

thank you for all of the support and kind words. In some ways I feel that I am giving up too soon but I really want to try to avoid going through another miscarriage as it was clearly an egg quality problem for me. I am just trying to relax as much as I can with this and I am very thankful that this is an option. I just love having all of your experiences to help me through this process. I will check in tomorrow when I get our first follicle update from our nurse. Our donor is 23 - when I did IVF with my own eggs I stimmed for about 10 and 11 days, will it be more or less with a younger donor? she started stims on 6/17 and our retrieval is scheduled for 6/28?

Respond to this message   
Anon7
(no login)

Good Luck!!

June 19 2011, 8:14 PM 

And I'd skip the wine. I stopped when I began ttc last August, and stayed stopped b/c I wanted my body and my hormones to be at the top of their game. I still haven't had any. Yep, it is stressful and sometimes boring, but my take is I don't want to have anything I regret.

Caffeine, diet coke in particular, is going to be a killer for me. I do transfer this coming Saturday and am dreading that I won't be able to have the stuff. And no or very little coffeee. But, I'll do it.

Good Luck with your cycle!!

Respond to this message   
THK
(Login perthkitty)

What I did (success ment)

June 20 2011, 1:42 AM 

Hi b,
Look if you want a drink have one or two (sort of stop there though).
I drank right up to our successful cycle then stopped a few days before the transfer. Walking and or swimming also reduces the edge off cycle anxiety so also do a bit of those too. Good luck with your cycle. best THK.

Respond to this message   
K
(no login)

Good luck!!!! Nt

June 20 2011, 9:04 AM 

Respond to this message   
Mrs. M
(no login)

Welcome and GL!!! (m/c ment)

June 20 2011, 9:19 AM 

You will find lots of support and good advice on this board. I hope all works out well with your current cycle. Are you an out of town or in town cycler at SGF? I have one embryo left from my first DE cycle at an MA clinic. Had an early m/c in May from an FET and I'm waiting for AF to arrive to do hysterscopy and then will transfer last embie. My plan is to move on the SGF if last embie doesn't work but I'm a little worried about he OOT coordination. Keep us posted on the progress of your cycle.

Respond to this message   
bbhoover
(Login bbhoover)

Re: Welcome and GL!!! (m/c ment)

June 20 2011, 10:48 AM 

I am the original poster. Thanks for all of the positive feedback. SGF has been great so far and were wonderful with my OE IVF. I am just hoping and praying for a good first report on our donor's follicles. She is a first time donor but is in Nursing school so I am hoping she can handle the injections. If my husband and I can handle, I am pretty sure she can! He has even been good the IM estrodiol shots. I hate to wish time away but I just cant wait to get this show on the road. Can t wait to hear about everyone's success!

Respond to this message   
Veesha
(Login Veesha)

Barge to Mrs. M

June 20 2011, 10:09 PM 

I hope that your FET works, and that you don't have to move to your next plan...but if you do, I think that you will find that SG really has it's act together when it comes to coordination of out of town recipients.

I am an out of towner, and from our intake, to our first transfer, which ended in a BFN unfortunately, my husband and I found that the clinic was quite efficient. From everything from freezing my husband's sample (so that they could use it for various cycles) to helping me to get monitored in my home state, they were on top of things. You have a nurse with whom you are able to shoot questions, and get information. You also have access to your doctor through your nurse if you have questions that you need to ask him/her or if the nurse is unable to answer a question. I really think highly of SG. I am the primary recipient on the cycle that I'm on now, and was number 3 on my unsuccessful cycle, BTW.

Respond to this message   
bbhoover
(no login)

just got our first update

June 20 2011, 3:27 PM 

Our Donor had her first ultrasound today - she had more than 20 follicles! She goes back on wednesday when they will be measurable. Makes my total of 8 egg from my last OE Ivf look pretty sad. I truly believe we made the right choice for us to move on to donor eggs but it is hard for me to admit defeat. I was trying to explain to DH that it makes me feel a little inferior - I know I will be fine with this eventually but I am still struggling a bit. I am so thankful to have you all on this board to chat with as we are no tell so I can t talk to anyone but DH about this. We are doing the shared donor 1:3 program at SG and we are the primary. I wonder how many we will have. Thanks for listening.

Respond to this message   
Mrs. M
(no login)

Great start!! Keep the good news coming...

June 20 2011, 5:13 PM 

When I was struggling with the OE vs. DE issue, it helped me to keep in mind that my goal was to be a mom and there is more than one way to get to that goal. As my first DE cycle progressed and the embryos were created, they were mine and I loved them. The missing genetic link didn't matter any more. You should not feel inferior, you are climbing great mountains to achieve your goal. GL!!!!

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - first donor egg cycle
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on FertilityCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement