So on Monday hcg was 318, now 422 surprised it went up that much cause it was barely creeping past 2 times
I don't really have hope this could be a viable pregnancy and neither does RE. So Friday will have quant and
Ultrasound to see if we see anything in the uterus would be 5w2d do would at least see a sac - and then decide on
Methotrexate. Of course now that we are talking ectopic I feel a bit more pressure on the right side and am freaking.
As soon as someone tells you that you have the symptoms ya know ? So kind of you all to think of me, I am nervous
But dealing ok. Just want to know one way or another. Will update on Friday mornings appt...
Keep taking the drugs until you really know what is going on. Your beta is still rising. Don't give up hope. I'm not blowing smoke here. I've seen a few ladies here have slow betas and they had their babies and they were 100% ok, good luck, THK
I made an almost identical post back in March. I was told that it was probably ectopic, so when I went in for my u/s at 6wks I was prepared for the worst but blessed with the best... I am 6 mos pg right now. They told me to keep up with the meds, but stopped doing the betas.
I only repeat this because multiple posts from some of the nice ladies on this board helped me through what you're going through right now, even when the RE's nurse continued to be pessimistic and tell me that very rarely do these pgs make it. I'm not out of the woods yet, but getting there...
I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Best wishes tomorrow.
Keep us posted!
They weren't as erratic as Ariadne's, but so low that the RE's nurse/office didn't give me any hope. I'm so glad that we all erred on the side of caution and stuck with it. (I wasn't willing to give up anyway, not until I had to!) They had me stop doing betas after the fourth one since the #s weren't telling the whole story.
at 6w and maybe 2d we saw the gestational sack in my uterus... a great sigh of relief for all involved... even the tech gave a little yeah!
I'm so grateful for the support that I got from everyone here. It really helped with the worry. I hope that you find a little comfort in these stories. I pray that it goes well for you, but know that we are here for you regardless.
Please don't do anything unless he confirms the pg. is not in the uterus (child ment.)
August 4 2011, 11:48 AM
Here is an old post of mine with my full beta story. As you can see, the pg. wasn't confirmed as uterine until much later than 5w2d & my betas were astonishingly offtrack. My RE would've had me do methotrexate, but fortunately Dr. T with the Beer Center said no, it needed to be confirmed & he thought he saw a sac at 31dpo but he couldn't even be sure then. I went back a week later & he was finally able to confirm a hb. That was an incredible 7w2d.
As I said in the post below, I don't want to sound forceful & I definitely don't want to cause you any pain, but it is never worth it to jump the gun. You have to be sure. Even at 7w2d, I had no hope b/c the sac was misshapen & my betas were so wacky. Dr. T said it was likely not viable but he had seen stranger things happen. And indeed, it was a totally normal pg./baby.
Believe me, I had no hope during this time. None at all. I only rode it out b/c to me there is no other alternative with rising betas, no matter how wacky, unless an ectopic is actually confirmed. And in riding it out, I did stop meds twice on my own & drown my sorrows in champagne/wine, only to go back on them again. (The two points I stopped meds were different than when my RE told me to. When he told me to, I didn't. An even longer story & this is long enough.)
Sending you a huge hug, Beth. I truly know how agonizing this is. In 2009, these wonderful women here rode the roller coaster right along with me & some of them even had hope for the pg. when I had none, so I'm holding onto that hope for you, Beth.
Please, please proceed with caution (pg., child ment.)
October 26 2010 at 10:09 PM Ariadne (no login)
Response to Re: Abnormal Beta Pattern
My RE was also very concerned about an ectopic & was somewhat eager to consider methotrexate without waiting out a confirmation by u/s.
It takes a while before you are far enough along for them to see anything on u/s, so do NOT let him do anything of the sort until he is able to actually confirm where the pg. is.
Sorry to sound so forceful, but if I hadn't intervened on my own behalf on this issue, it could very well have cost me a very live, very perfect baby boy.
My betas were extremely low & were still off the charts low when I had my final beta. A recap of my betas is below. This is a hard situation to be in, as weird betas are correlated with m/c & can indicate an ectopic. However, that is not true across the board & without waiting it out, you simply can't know how it will turn out. If I had blindly followed my RE, things would have turned out very differently. Luckily I was under the care of two doctors & managed to stay on meds & be monitored b/c each thought the other wanted to wait it out. Otherwise, both told me to stop meds & my RE was pretty eager about considering methotrexate even without waiting for actual confirmation. Pretty horrifying, honestly.
I'm not suggesting my situation is common, but what other choice is there really but to hang in there until you know for sure? BTW, my cycle was also a FET with 2 blasts transferred. I wish you the very best & hope you have good news. As you can see from my betas, even consistently low but rising betas can result in a normal pg. So strange, but it can happen.
11 dpo 26
13 dpo 53
16 dpo 39
18 dpo 41
20 dpo 72
23 dpo 179
27 dpo 559
30 dpo 921
31 dpo - "possible" sac seen in uterus - ob through RI's office said it doesn't look good, but he wanted to wait another week & felt it was too early to consider methotrexate, which my RE wanted me to do by this point
33 dpo 2671
37 dpo (7w2d) - last beta drawn at 4238 - ob through RI's office saw a sac with strong heart beat, but said it was misshapen & likely not viable - told me to come back in a week
40dpo (7w5d) - u/s with local peri. - measuring 6w6d - heart beat strong - sac looked fine - everything looked fine - I canceled my out of town appt. with the RI's office - it was quite a while before I actually believed the pg. was normal, but I had a healthy baby at 37 wks.
I thought once beta is high enough is good. I don't have enough knowlede of this. but praying for you it is hard to get that high hope when you first learned you are pg and then dropped you once. I only got once very low beta of 18 and from start I knew it is impossible but yours is totally different.
I read few ladies here that they have the feeling of you will be fine. I hope we have the right feelings.
Don't stop meds till it is 100% sure.
The few days before my 6 week u/s I felt what I thought were horrible gas pains. I would sweat and clutch whatever was near me when they hit. I kept taking gas x to no avail. When we discovered it wasn't in my uterus at the 6 week u/s, we did a repeat beta and I was lucky that at that point it was dropping....I didn't end up doing methotrexate, but did have a lap to remove debris. The tube was full of debris and fell behind my uterus and was causing pain even though it wasn't in danger of rupturing. Keep an eye on it, there are still several ways it could go including what happened to Ariadne, which was a great outcome. (((hugs)))
Hoping for you as this is not the normal trend of an ectopic
August 4 2011, 10:47 AM
I've seen a number of ectopics and the betas do not generally rise like your first and second one, it generally would rise much slower. I know the numbers are not what you would like but I am thinking this is not ectopic. I really hope I am right. definitely strange pattern but not a normal ectopic pattern either. I know you only transferred one so it is even more intriguing. Im praying for a little round miracle in there at your scan.