<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Is heparin (or lovenox)expensive for self-pay? Is it commonly covered even when IF is not?

August 9 2011 at 3:00 PM
kekona  (Login Kekona)

I just heard from an RE at IVF-Phoenix, who says:

The use of heparin or lovenox is not to anticlot a person, but to stimulate nitric oxide synthetase (NOS) activity to increase NO, and hence optimize the uterine environment.

I never knew that. I only knew about the anti-clotting part, so I always resisted it.

ETA: cny doesn't use heparin, just lovenox. Dr. K has been suggesting it for me and I've been resisting. I don't test + for immune issues, but IVF Phoenix caught my attention with their heparin/endometrium protocol.

This message has been edited by Kekona on Aug 9, 2011 3:37 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
anon
(no login)

one box of lovenox

August 9 2011, 3:53 PM 

can cost about $1,200 for five days..
The RE who gave you that info should be better informed..the latest results show no increased pg rates in women using lovenox or heparin without a clotting diagnosis.

Respond to this message   
Kacee
(no login)

They now make generic Lovenox. You can also buy very

August 9 2011, 4:44 PM 

reasonably on freegaragesale.com

Respond to this message   

(Login CTSmithie)

The new generic isn't that expensive

August 9 2011, 7:28 PM 

I used it in my last failed FET and was self pay. My RE orders meds for self pay patients from Apocathary by Design.

Respond to this message   
Ariadne
(no login)

Do you have any insurance coverage for it?

August 9 2011, 10:06 PM 

If so, check into whether you have a mail order pharmacy option. If so, it may be cheaper, I learned the hard way.

I was paying $300 a month & $1200 a month for Lovenox & Humira, respectively, through a walk-in pharmacy. That was with insurance coverage. It dropped to $30 for a 90 day supply for each via mail order. I kid you not. It was astonishing. Same policy & everything. The only difference was mail order vs. brick-&-mortar pharmacy.

I have no coverage for ART but had coverage for prescriptions, so it may be worth double checking, just in case. (Note the "had" - last year the insurer started precluding some prescriptions associated with ART.)

Respond to this message   
kekona
(Login Kekona)

wow, I'll call!

August 10 2011, 10:11 AM 

Thanks for that info!

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Is heparin (or lovenox)expensive for self-pay? Is it commonly covered even when IF is not?
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on FertilityCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement