<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Anyone from the east coast going to watch CBS on...

October 25 2011 at 11:00 AM
Anonymous  (no login)

Thursday night at 11:00pm older moms and pregnancy, when I saw the preview of the show this morning it showed a lovely 53 year old women pregnant and a few other women talking about having children later in life...I really Hope it is a positive show!!! and not bashing older moms or moms to-be.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Maggie in VA
(Login maggie1961)

Nope, I'm officially on a media fast . . .

October 25 2011, 12:32 PM 

On this topic. I was so angry and appalled by a recent DoubleX blogger who wrote, in response to the recent NY Magazine article on older motherhood (cover: 60-something woman's head superimposed on Demi Moore's pg body) that the anger directed at older moms is due to our privilege. Now, how many of us scraped and are living by the skin of our teeth, and this -- aaagggghhh, the worst of it is, she seems like a nice person; she just assumes she knows what she's talking about because she Googled "fertility treatment" or something -- ignorant twit is talking about how all of us much be rich if we could afford fertility treatment and this is why we are frowned upon so much. I am not going to subject myself to this anymore. I'm going to raise my kids and not look at any more articles or listen to any radio shows or watch any TV shows on this subject. It's just too infuriating. Maggie (in VA)

This message has been edited by maggie1961 on Oct 25, 2011 12:39 PM

Respond to this message   
thesameboat
(Login thesameboat)

OK, you made me look

October 25 2011, 4:15 PM 

That is not Demi Moore's elbows. I think it really is an older mom.

Respond to this message   
Maggie in VA
(Login maggie1961)

Hear you, but . . .

October 25 2011, 4:53 PM 

I think the whole thing is Photo Shopped to use the Demi Moore photo and add older features in here and there. I know there's an older mom blogger I found who blasted them for it, and she thought it was Photo Shopped. I found the blog doing a Google search trying to find out that exact thing. I wish I had the link to the blog handy, but I've got to leave work ASAP. Will try to post later. Maggie (in VA)

Respond to this message   
thesameboat
(no login)

No, if it's been researched already, I'll believe you!

October 25 2011, 5:22 PM 

Don't go to any trouble. I just hadn't thought of Demi AT ALL when I saw the pic! happy.gif

Respond to this message   
Maggie in VA
(Login maggie1961)

Actually, the blogger doesn't claim to have researched it . . . ETA confirmation

October 26 2011, 10:36 AM 

But the photo is fairly obviously Photo Shopped; whether based on the Demi photo is another matter; Leibowitz and/or Moore might have sued the pants off the magazine if they started with her actual photo. Anyway, here is the link. I subscribed to her blog, and I don't subscribe to *anyone's* blog. Maggie (in VA)

http://jenniferhull.com/MidAgeMom/2011/10/the-real-older-mom-behind-new-york-magazines-cover-photo/

ETA: And follow the links from some of the other older mom bloggers mentioned for some interesting reading on the NY Magazine piece.

The Elizabeth Gregory one cites the attributions: photo-illustration by Darrow photoshopped with photos [plural] by Danny Kim.

This message has been edited by maggie1961 on Oct 26, 2011 1:07 PM

Respond to this message   
Jen
(Login jentenn)

I'll try

October 25 2011, 12:59 PM 

I fully support Maggie's response, but I will probably try to watch the show if I'm still awake by then. (Is it only airing on the east coast? It would be 10 central time.)

Respond to this message   
thesameboat
(Login thesameboat)

Hope it's a good show. It won't air where I live. nt

October 25 2011, 4:16 PM 

Respond to this message   
BlessedThistle
(Login Blessed_Thistle)

random sig editing post

July 21 2014, 4:49 PM 

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

Respond to this message   
Mrs. M
(Login CAR67)

I won't be able to stay awake that late..lol.

October 25 2011, 6:45 PM 

I'll try to find it and DVR it.

Respond to this message   
Christine
(Login CTSmithie)

I might check it out

October 26 2011, 7:48 PM 

But I am prepared for a less-than-positive story or at least comments (if the story is later posted online) to be negative.

It seems that there is so much "negative energy", for lack of a better descriptive term these days. Case in point, I was driving home from a meeting today and the local radio station was stoking an 'uproar' over my state's govenor declaring tomorrow as "daiper day" to raise awareness for parents who are struggling to afford diapers for their babies and toddlers. It started with a charity that I have actually donated to, and the governor basically issued one of those simple declarations to create more PR.http://www.stamfordplus.com/stm/information/nws1/publish/News_1/Connecticut-to-celebrate-Diaper-Need-Awareness-Day14970.shtml

There is also a proposed bill, sponsored by a Congresswoman from my state, to enable states to use federal assistance for the poor that they already receive to provide diapers for families who are in need.
http://delauro.house.gov/release.cfm?id=3206

All the callers were saying things along the lines of: just use cloth diapers (as if that is cheaper or convenient for working parents) or I could pay for diapers why can't they? or people shouldn't have kids they can't afford to care for! and other similar comments. There was just a knee-jerk reaction and a failure to understand circumstances of other people that I think is somewhat similar to the knee-jerk reaction toward older mothers who "chose" to be older mothers and are "selfish" for doing so.

Respond to this message   
Christine
(Login CTSmithie)

Here is a link to the CBS NY 2 story

October 28 2011, 10:54 AM 

Respond to this message   
Seymo
(no login)

Whatever you do - don't read the comments

October 28 2011, 3:13 PM 

Ugh. I wish I had eye bleach. It is too bad ignorant people are allowed on the internet.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on FertilityCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement