<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

What is a good number of follicles/eggs for a shared cycle???

December 2 2011 at 7:36 PM
futurebeauty  (Login futurebeauty)

I just want to give myself something realistic to think about.

TIA,

futurebeauty

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
MamaBubbles
(no login)

Good Question

December 2 2011, 8:15 PM 

I just found out today that we got 10 and 8 fertilized so transfer is Sunday. Will be interested in what the other ladies think.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(no login)

Well, just using some averages for thought...without a calculator...

December 2 2011, 8:51 PM 

There is no way to really tell in advance, but using some averages I would think 16 mature eggs would be a conservative target goal to keep in mind for a shared cycle IMHO. When they are tracking follicles it is hard to know how many will have mature eggs.

If the average fertilization rate is 75%, that means 12 of the 16 mature eggs fertilize.

Then if on average 40% of those 12 fertilized eggs become blastocysts, there would be roughly 5 blastocysts total from the cycle, enough for two people.

Every cycle is different though, there are way too many factors to tell what is going to happen or if you will fall within the averages or surpass them.

Respond to this message   
Veesha
(Login Veesha)

It really depends on a lot of factors (success and preg ment)

December 3 2011, 12:42 AM 

Not the least of which would be how many would be involved in the split.

I was part of a 1:3 split, and was quite concerned with the number of eggs we would get. For our 1st fresh cycle we got 5 eggs, which was quite disappointing. Still I tried to hang on to the thought that it only takes 1 egg to have a baby. 4 of the eggs fertilized but the resulting embryos weren't great. We ended transferring 2 on day 3, and we got a BFN. On that split I was in place number 3 of the split.

Within a few weeks, we were matched again and got started. Again a 1:3 split, but this time I was the 1st recipient. 10 eggs were retrieved from this ED, so there were not enough eggs for the 3rd recipient to get any eggs, so she was dropped from the split. Again, we ended up with 5 eggs. Again 4 fertilized but this time we ended up with 2 great looking blasts. We transferred 1 on day 5, the other was frozen on day 6. We ended up with a BFP and I'm not 24 weeks pregnant. So while I was really concerned about not having some of the large numbers of eggs that some women get (especially with cycles that are not shared), things worked out well.

So if you can, try not to worry about the number of eggs that you may or may not get. Just pray that those eggs that you get are good quality, and hopefully you'll be able to look at the ED's history to figure out if she's likely to produce good healthy eggs for you.

All the best in your journey to your family!

Respond to this message   
SMRC
(no login)

Re: What is a good number of follicles/eggs for a shared cycle???

December 3 2011, 11:31 PM 

Cornell requires a minimum of 5 for each recipient for a shared cycle. SMRC

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(no login)

I think I had 17 to myself, my donor

December 4 2011, 12:02 PM 

was a superstar. Ended up with 7-8 blasts, one of which I'm currently 20+ weeks pg with, 6 others on ice. I did SET. Good Luck!

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - What is a good number of follicles/eggs for a shared cycle???
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on FertilityCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement