<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

hysteroscopy questions

February 9 2012 at 9:29 PM
  (Login leigh74)

My donor, DH, and I have finally gone through all the necessary testing and are almost cleared to start our first DE cycle. FINALLY. The one remaining test is the hysteroscopy, which I'm supposed to have next week...

Can someone tell me what to expect? Is it painful? Does it require general anesthesia? Is this something that all clinics do routinely for every patient? I've spoken with others who have been through IVF and never had one, so I'm starting to wonder... My insurance won't cover it (or anything else remotely related to infertility) and I know it's very expensive, so I'm curious about the necessity. I've had one MC, but no other history of pg, fibroids, or other uterine issues.

Any info would be very much appreciated!
Leigh

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
minniet
(Login minniet)

Different kinds

February 9 2012, 9:36 PM 

Usually a diagnostic hysteroscopy is like a hysterosalpingram - I have had several of those. Just a valium, most were not painful, but the last one way, I am not sure why. I think it was just a vaso vagal reaction which I occasionally get even during paps.

A more extensive operative hysteroscopy is when they put you under and really go in there and perform some minor surgery such as fibroid or polyp or septum removal. I have also had this -- I don;t think you are having this. And, you would only want a surgeon who can do this right.

The diagnostic one is not really a big deal, if you are worried, just take a good amount of advil to calm any potential cramping.

Good luck!

Respond to this message   
CrazyLady
(Login CrazyLady42)

Just had a hysteroscopy Tuesday

February 9 2012, 9:44 PM 

I was having the hysteroscopy because they saw something that concerned them when they did the saline ultrasound. They ended up removing a couple of polyps. I had to be put under general anesthesia. No pain before, during or after for me.

If you have any specific questions, let me know.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(no login)

Was required by our clinic too

February 9 2012, 11:04 PM 

no history of uterine issues or lining problems either, but was required to be done at the clinic as part of a one-day workup screening. It was very easy, no meds beforehand, they suggested motrin if there was cramping afterward. Dr had to numb cervix with lidocaine because he could not get the catheter w/ camera through, but he said that is usually not a problem. It was sort of interesting to be able to see the "movie" as the camera was recording it, images were in color and crystal clear.

For cost I think it was @ $600 or $800. Was not a long or difficult exam, went to airport and flew home immediately afterward. This was only a hysteroscopy to look around, not to do any procedure like polyp or fibroid removal, which is much more complicated.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(no login)

Having one done next cycle suspected T uterus

February 10 2012, 2:38 PM 

I just had an HSG done and they want me to have the hysteroscopy done because they now suspect that I have a T Shaped Uterus. I'm a bit frustrated since this is the 4th HSG sinc I began trying 10 yrs ago.

So I'm glad to hear that the pain isn't that bad.

Respond to this message   

(Login Blessed_Thistle)

I've had 3 diagnostic and 2 to remove a polyp (same one, doctor was incompetent)

February 10 2012, 2:50 PM 

None of them hurt as much as any of my HSGs (3 of those two). The most painful thing I ever had done in the name of fertility was one of my saline sonograms actually. I was crying and begging him to stop). My first two hysteroscopies, they injected novacaine (or something like) around my cervix before the procedure and yes, it did hurt some but not too badly. The third one was 100% painless even with no novacaine. hth a little!

Respond to this message   

(Login leigh74)

thank you...

February 11 2012, 10:54 AM 

I appreciate the feedback. I'm suspecting I'm getting a Hysterosalpingoscopy and not a true hysteroscopy, but since the RE's office was closed on Friday, I ddin't find out for sure... Thanks for helping me figure out the right questions to ask!

Leigh

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - hysteroscopy questions
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on FertilityCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement