<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Thanks for your posts about my huge blood clot last week! - Update (m/c mentioned)

February 18 2012 at 3:01 PM
Hopeful in Delaware  (Login hopefulindelaware)

Thanks to everyone who responded to my post the other week about that huge clot I passed out of my uterus. I wanted to respond to your kind posts and also share info that may be interesting or useful to others.

What I have learned from my doctor at Shady Grove and from my acupuncturist (I love when their answers are the same!happy.gif) was some clarification about clotting. When describing that thing that came out of me, a more accurate term would be congealed menstrual blood. It wasnt really accurate for me to call that clotting, or to assume it meant I had clotting issues. As I understand it now, the clotting factors in blood that can interfere with formation of a healthy placenta are microscopic factors, not visible to the eye, the way clots in menstrual blood are visible. In acupuncture/TCM, clots in menstrual blood are associated with a condition called blood stasis, where the blood (and energy) are too thick and not flowing normally and freely. I have been working with my acu on blood stasis for a long time. Blood stasis (as defined in TCM) and blood clotting (as defined by conventional medicine) may have some overlap, Im not sure, but they are not in fact the same thing.

There was nothing about me passing that huge mass that gave my doc cause for concern, especially when combined with several uterine diagnostics done recently. (HSG and mock embryo transfer a few weeks ago, and hysteroscopy and endometrial biopsy 6 months ago.) However, I told my doc that my maternal grandmother died from a burst blood clot in her lung and my father has had blood clots. When he heard that, he did order a thrombophilia panel for me. Im so relieved: If its negative, thats great. If its positive, at least well know in time to address it for my first DE cycle. So even if that huge congealed mass had nothing to be with blood clotting, as medically defined, Im so glad it happened if it means we catch a clotting issue early. I got the bw yesterday.

Futurebeauty, demomone, Minniet, and THK: thanks for your advice to call my doc, and for sharing your personal stories.

Daisy: thanks for your suggestions re: miscarriages. I have had 2 OE miscarriages (one of them a chemical) and I am just beginning DE, so my history of m/c is not too dramatic. Fingers crossed it stays that way.

Lauranz: I hope AF has made an appearance for you! Fingers crossed!

Thanks again!
HID

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Seymo
(Login Seymo)

Very interesting (mc ment)

February 18 2012, 3:54 PM 

Thank you for the follow up post. I really appreciate everyone's experiences here.

I have had the thrombophilia panel done after numerous mc's and all came back negative. (I secretly wished some of that testing came back positive so at least we would have had something to fix).

Respond to this message   
Mrs. M
(no login)

Glad you were able to get some answers.

February 19 2012, 7:36 AM 

Also great that they are willing to check for clotting issues before you get your cycle started. GL!

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Thanks for your posts about my huge blood clot last week! - Update (m/c mentioned)
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on FertilityCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement