<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

recommendations for DE clinics

May 4 2012 at 2:04 PM
  (Login kerryhm)

Hi,

My dh and I just failed our first ivf cycle miserably - only 2 eggs and none fertilized after expecting to get more (several empty follicles) - and have been considering DE as an option for a while. I'm 41 almost 42 so although my levels seemed ok and we were hopeful going into the cycle the odds weren't in our favor. My dr doesn't feel that trying again would give better results so we need to move on at this point. I'm actually at the top of the waiting list for DE at my clinic but they don't do a ton of donor egg and the SART results aren't great (they told me because they had a number of known donors who were older and didn't work). Their results for the under 35s are pretty good so I assume that's a good sign. Right now though, I'm just associating them with failure and not loving my doctor (although the others are nice) but in general over a year of iuis, cycle delays due to cysts, etc. they have been pretty ok to deal with. I'm wondering about going to Shady Grove in MD or another place that does a lot of DE and seems to have good statistics. Any thoughts on doing this rather than using a smaller program? Does any one else have recommendations, preferably on the east coast? I'm near Philly. Do some of you use agencies rather than the clinic's donors? Is there any benefit to doing that? Just trying to figure it all out as a newbie. Thanks for any thoughts you may have.

We just found out about the failed cycle yesterday so still feeling like I got hit by a truck but I've been checking this site for a little while and have been very inspired by your stories. It's comforting to know that OE isn't the only way to go and it's helped me get through this whole difficult experience.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Julie
(Login JuJules)

SG Grad - sucess ment, m/c ment

May 4 2012, 3:06 PM 

There are a few of us on this board that have used SG so I am sure others will chime in. I would also do a search of SG if you have some time.

I was with a smaller clinic to start -- did 3 IUIs and 1 OE IVF at the age of 43. I also had good numbers and even produced a relatively high number of follies/eggs for my age -- always had 6-8+ measurable follies and on the 1 OE IVF they retrieved 6. But I was tired of trying to catch the OE brass ring and the real brass ring for me was a baby. I did 2 DE cycles at my old clinic but a move and stress of travel, a m/c and a cycle where I think they overstimmed my previously rock star clinic donor meant that I switched to SG after 2 DE cycles there. I loved my old RE in FL but I did get frustrated after he started trying to blame my uterus when there was no issue with that nor with DH's sperm.

I was nervous about going to a bigger place but in the end I loved the security the 1 for 3 shared risk program gave me. Also, I kinda like that they have a system and it works for them. My RE -- Chang who I did like -- took a look at my file and simply said "there is no reason why we can't get you pregnant." I only saw him at my initial meeting and then at my 2 transfers. I did the shared risk, as I said. I found donor I liked right after I was approved but she went AWOL so I had to select another donor. Due to my earlier DE failures (SG looks at your whole history), I was primary recipient in my cycle. THe donor produced 21 eggs so I got 7. 6 fertilzed and they transferred 2 at 3-days. BFN. 2 months later I transferred the 2 6-day blasts that made it to freeze and I now have an 18-month old daughter. I got pregnant at age 46, delivered at 47.

I think you should look at SG given your location. The train would be an easy option for you. SART stats are not as high as some places but I don't think SG really cherry picks. Also, at times its donor pool may appear to have slim pickings but it does turnover quickly. Finally, I know there has been some confusion over its financial terms so if you do go that way, make sure you read all the documents. My DH is a lawyer and will not let us sign anything without reading. There are a few options at SG and the contracts can be a little confusing. Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Respond to this message   
Mrs. M
(no login)

SG almost graduate (preg mentioned)

May 4 2012, 5:20 PM 

I will be 8 weeks pregnant tomorrow and will hopefully "graduate" from SG after ultrasound on Monday. I am an out of town patient and they made it all very easy. SG has a very efficeint system. It was 100 times easier than cycling with my local clnic with an agency donor. First consult was mid Nov. (they offer free recipient day consult). Accepted into program after mock cycle the end of Dec. We picked donor a week later in 3:1 program and even with all coordination of synching donor and recipients we started cycle early March. You can't beat the money back guarantee. It really decreases stress of whole process. If you google fertility forum ivf, click on donor issue link there is an entire thread of SG DE patients.

Respond to this message   
Beansprout703
(no login)

Another SG almost graduate

May 7 2012, 11:43 AM 

DH (55) and I (44) are currently expecting a boy end of August, from our first cycle with SG Shared Risk DE program.

After 3 years of TTC with 2 failed IUIs (at Dominion Fertility) and 2 failed IVFs (at Columbia) using OE, we realized that we did not have the resources to continue to play the "baby lottery" and that we just wanted a baby. Due to our diminishing resources, we looked for clinics that offered a guarantee DE program, and SG and RBA in Atlanta were the top two clinics that we considered.

As luck would have it, a perfect donor became available right around the time we were approved by SG, so we went for it. Now, I am 22 weeks preggo and praying everything continues to go smoothly for the next 4 months.

Although the shared risk program is more expensive than the pay-as-you-go program, the peace of mind that we have from being able to try again (if needed) is priceless. For example, the guarantee allowed us to move quickly on this donor who was a first time donor, because we knew we could try again if things didn't work out.

Best of luck with your search!

Respond to this message   
margolis
(Login margolis)

I cycled at RBA with their frozen eggs, and had success.

May 5 2012, 12:11 PM 

THere are definitely pros and cons to going with frozen eggs. But there are a number of SG grads here that have found success. That sounds a lot more convenient for you, and depending on your circumstances, might work out better.

Best of luck to you and I'm sorry that your OE cycle didn't work out very well.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Respond to this message   
Kerry
(no login)

thanks for the info!

May 6 2012, 10:33 AM 

I hadn't heard about the frozen egg option at RBA so I'll check that out too.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - recommendations for DE clinics
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on FertilityCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement