<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Antidepressants?

May 11 2012 at 11:48 PM
anonymous  (no login)

Hello:

I am quite depressed and think I need an antidepressant, which I had never considered until now.

Please note: I am pretty well acquainted with mental illness and have tried all natural remedies and sought out as much therapy as I can handle, this is situational depression with no cure: infertility.

SO, I believe I need an antidepressant. For those of you who have dealt with depression -- do you have any advice? I was on wellbutrin in my twenties, but it made me have lots of brain zaps and I kept waking up with my jaw clenching and locked, so I do not want anything like that. I also suffer from anxiety sometimes.

This is so sad, because I was so happy a month ago...

But I am in pretty bad shape and I need some help. I cry all day, I don't want to say things to scare you, but the world has turned gray and I am not sure what the point of it all is.

If you have experience with antidepressants, I would love to hear your thoughts.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Flavia
(no login)

Re: Antidepressants?

May 12 2012, 12:49 AM 

For sure you should see a doctor and talk about how you are feeling. I felt much better following the "Potatoes not Prozac" diet, but I was really not taking care of myself- eating too much junk food and not getting enough sleep or exercise. Everyone is different; a good friend of mine took L. Exepro and that worked for her. Talk to your doctor and try what is recommended. It may take some time to see positive results. Good luck & take care of yourself.

Respond to this message   
Kenny
(Login Kenny2006)
Moderators

((huge hugs)) (kids/ success)

May 12 2012, 10:48 AM 

I'm so very sorry, I have battled this too. ttc was a very, very long road for us, we've been at it now for ten years - first primary IF then to have a sib, with lots of losses along the way even with DE. With each loss I think I sank a little deeper. It's truly awful. I finally started taking lexapro in between our kids and it made such a HUGE difference. Then after DD2 was born I suffered such severe PPD that I did want to end it - which made me feel REALLY crazy, since I had everything I've always wanted. (Just be aware that the IF depression can and will give way to PPD - you will be more at risk having suffered IF, per studies.) Since I am nursing I'm on zol*oft right now which is safe, and I can't tell you how much better I feel. It can take a long while even once starting meds to feel better, so don't delay, if you're already feeling this bad. I waited until I actually thought about ending it, and then thought OMG, what am I doing??? When DH got home from work I went running out the door to the urgent care for an rx, as my Ob couldn't fit me in (another rant - suicidal patient, SEE THEM, lol). I'm so, so sorry you are going through this. Please don't try to tough it out especially if you've already done or are doing talk therapy - get to a doctor and try some meds, as that can take a while to find the right one and the right dose, and you do NOT want to give up on life before the really great stuff happens - AND IT WILL, I PROMISE!!! Hang in there. Love,
Kenny (and the rest of your board friends)

Respond to this message   
Kenny
(Login Kenny2006)
Moderators

P.S. I did not take the meds while pg...

May 12 2012, 10:11 PM 

but planned to if I became severely depressed. I did ok without them while pg though some may not, and may need to continue them through pg. I think it's really a risk/benefit analysis that's so personal to each situation. But FIRST, get yourself stabilized however you need to do so, and then get pg - the rest will work itself out as you discuss with your doctors. Again, hugs, I know this is SO brutal sad.gif.

Respond to this message   
Emilyr99
(Login emilyr99)

Citalopram

May 12 2012, 6:45 PM 

DH is on these and they work for him. The only side effect that he has suffered is a bit of a heady feeling if he misses a day.

IF is such a long, dark and lonely road. I have used counselling as drugs don't really work for me, but that is just me. I also joined a gym based on recommendations of the ladies here and have tried to get out of the house more often. I still have dark days, but I can get out of bed in the mornings now.

Please know that we are here for you if you need to vent. I know it's not the same, but I have gotten so much out of being a part of this board. Hugs to you.

Respond to this message   
birdy1600
(Login birdy1600)

I was and am on zoloft (baby ment'd)

May 12 2012, 10:59 PM 

I got pregnant on 25 mgs of zoloft my friend who works at a Reproductive Clinic says they let women on 100 mgs throughout pregnancy. Baby bird was fine and dandy. right now we are trying for number two. I am at 50 mgs of zoloft and taking clonopan (last time they said stop with a BFP) this time they are saying stop prior to transfer.

In any case, from what I heard Zoloft is one of the oldest drugs, and so far throughout the years doctors are okay with it in small doses. It still has some risk, but they feel the depression of the mother is more of a risk.

See a psychologist who a FERTILITY Clinic knows of someone well versed with women who are ttc'ing or pregnant or post. THIS is important, not all doctors are well versed in this.

Respond to this message   
BabyDance
(no login)

Please do this..

May 17 2012, 11:57 AM 

You will feel so much better, and while depression may still happen, it won't be at this heightened of a level with medication. If you are in NYC, I can recommend an amazing medicine doctor. I have suffered with severe clinical depression most of my life and have been on and off medication. This is not something to mess with or fight through as people will try to tell you. Do not listen to them. You are making the right choice for you and your family, job, friends. It is the responsible thing to do.

PS - I am the most holistic, non drug person you will meet. If I take 2 advils a year, that's a lot. I do not take drugs flippantly. Just offering support to you. If you need to speak further about this, please post to me.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Antidepressants?
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on FertilityCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement