<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Do you test for Urea plasma infection in USA

May 15 2012 at 7:53 PM
E&H  (no login)

We do not here as a matter of course but I just had a patient with it who had had so many miscarriages so I thought I'd just put it here for anyone who may be interested.

Q: What is Ureaplasma Urealyticum?

A: Couples who experience infertility, recurrent pregnancy loss, pelvic pain, premenstrual symptoms, or vaginal symptoms should be tested for ureaplasma urealyticum. A ureaplasma urealyticum infection can lead to fertility problems including tubal disease, recurrent miscarriages, decreased sperm motility and count, and poor post-coital tests.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
demomone
(no login)

Some docs do

May 15 2012, 9:47 PM 

but not usually. I asked specifically for the test and my RE agreed to do it but it was suggested by another doc who does an extensive w/u here in NYC. I believe that most docs who think out of the box do test for it in the States.
I actually have a very goo friend who had several losses and was tested for this with a positive result..when treated, she did have her own egg baby on the very next try. Interesting.

Respond to this message   
Dee
(no login)

I did

May 15 2012, 9:48 PM 

but only because my Czech clinic requires it. Before that, I had never heard of the test here in the USA. My doctor did not seem very familiar with it, either.

Respond to this message   
THK
(no login)

I had that

May 15 2012, 11:08 PM 

HI E&H,
I had that. They test for it here. When you take the antibiotics for it you have to ensure that both partners take it otherwise you just get it again. Test for it as a matter of course I think.
best, THK

Respond to this message   
thesameboat
(no login)

I had that

May 16 2012, 1:18 AM 

It can be sexually transmitted but can also come from saunas and swimming pools and such, if I remember correctly. It is important to be tested. It can make ttc difficult. And after treatment, it's important to be retested. (Again, I think. It's been a while.)

Respond to this message   
mary
(Login parothead)

positive here too

May 16 2012, 3:39 AM 

Cooper tested for it and I was positive. I had never been tested before and had repeated IVF failures and 2 MC. DH and I had to take Doxy for 2 weeks and be retested.My DR had to get special culture testing materials from a lab to do it and said she had never tested anyone for it before. I am now 7 weeks with what appears to be a healthy pregnancy.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(no login)

Yes, it's a routine test at Cooper

May 16 2012, 11:12 AM 

They require 4 cervical cultures (this was a couple years ago), ureaplasma is one (the other unusual one they want is mycoplasma). The others were gonorrhea and chlamydia cervical cultures. They are quick swab tests that can be done at the same time as a pap smear as long as they take the cultures before washing the cervix, then the swabs get cultured and sent out. My local GYN had also never tested patients for ureaplasma or mycoplasma so this was new for her as well. My tests were always negative but when we finally had a surrogate she was shocked to test positive for mycoplasma.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Do you test for Urea plasma infection in USA
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on FertilityCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement