<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Folgard or Metanx

May 23 2012 at 8:08 AM
anon  (no login)

Which did you use? Is there a reason one is better to use over the other?
Thanks.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Sharon
(Login srkanovsky)

I used Folgard for high dose of folic acid

May 23 2012, 10:02 AM 

I used Folgard OS with no problems. This is the 1.1mg tablet. There is also a 2.2mg version.

I've never heard of Metanx.

Respond to this message   
minniet
(no login)

It's complicated

May 23 2012, 10:44 AM 

But I used Metanx, as it is more bioavailable to the body given our potential genetic inability to process the bs.

Of course, I am not pregnant. It's not cheap. I am taking one every other day now.

I would use Metanx again based on the complicated stuff I read which I can't remember now...

Respond to this message   

(Login Blessed_Thistle)

I took folinic acid when pregnant for the same reason

May 23 2012, 10:57 AM 

Better bioavailability. I may have taken a sublingual bioavailable B multi too but my memory is fuzzy now. :|

Respond to this message   
DeeinNYC
(no login)

This

May 23 2012, 12:24 PM 

I took Folgard for a long time and then switched to Metanx because it is more bioavailable and the folic acid is absorbed better.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(no login)

Folgard 2.2 Rx

May 23 2012, 2:00 PM 

I took one per day, for one copy of a MTHFR mutation.

If you have 2 copies of certain mutations, they may want you to take 2 per day instead of 1 (this was per the Beer Center).

If your homocysteine levels are normal though, you probably are absorbing folic acid just fine, the extra is just for assurance. A very large percentage of the population has one or more MTHFR mutations without ever knowing and having no problems with pregnancies.

There is an OTC Folgard that only has 800 units of folic acid (my pharmacy tried to fill my script with this, not understanding the difference between the OTC and Rx versions). Most prenatal vitamins have 800, some Rx prenatals have 1000, the Folgard 2.2 Rx has 2500 units I believe.

There is some concern that too much folic acid may not be that great either, linked to certain cancers (lung, colon, prostate) if you google "too much folic acid" or similar, I only take the extra during cycling and pregnancy.

Respond to this message   
Anon
(no login)

Thanks for your responses

May 23 2012, 8:44 PM 

I will also do some more reading

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Folgard or Metanx
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on FertilityCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement