<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Did you do a medicated or non-medicated FET?

May 25 2012 at 4:41 PM
Anon  (no login)

What do you think is better for ladies in their 40s?
Thanks

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
thesameboat
(no login)

medicated for me

May 25 2012, 4:45 PM 

I suspect it might be difficult to do a non-medicated in your 40s unless your cycles are unusually regular and you ovulate every month. That's certainly not the case for me. Medicated was the only way to go. I did a mock cycle first because I hadn't had a period in almost a year. (THAT came about suddenly.) And about 2 months later I had my FET.

Best of luck to you.

Respond to this message   
BlessedThistle
(no login)

I did medicated

May 25 2012, 4:54 PM 

I liked having control of the timing since I am irregular and was traveling. If I had been doing a local cycle, I MIGHT have considered building my own lining, since I do fine there, and having some support for the luteal phase. But for travel, meds were the only way to go.

Respond to this message   
Anon
(no login)

Is it better to take the lupron so my hormones are balanced?

May 25 2012, 5:07 PM 

Thanks for your help

Respond to this message   
thesameboat
(no login)

Lupron was very bad for me

May 26 2012, 12:24 AM 

I didn't take it on any of the cycles where I got a bfp. I don't think it preventes bfps, but it seemed to oversurpress me. I had migraines and hot flashes and my period would be very, very messed up for 2-3 months afterwards. I did take it my first 5 times, but hated it.

You can take birth control pills to get your period to come at the right time. That also keeps you from ovulating. I don't know why REs don't all give us that instead of Lupron.

Respond to this message   
DeeinNYC
(no login)

Loved doing a natural FET

May 25 2012, 11:13 PM 

Hi,

I once did a natural FET. It was the best fertility procedure that I've ever done. However, you must have a regular cycle and ovulate regularly in order to do it. It's kind of a misnomer to say that it's natural however because you still must take estrogen and progesterone. If I'm not mistaken, I think I also took a trigger shot. If your cycles are regular and your doctor is willing to do it, I think it's a good thing to do.

Respond to this message   
DeeinNYC
(no login)

Just to clarify

May 26 2012, 10:18 AM 

I only took estrogen and progesterone after transfer. So it was natural/unmedicated except for the trigger shot and supps after transfer.

Respond to this message   
Ariadne
(no login)

That's what I did, too, Dee.

May 26 2012, 10:39 AM 

I'm glad your memory is better! I just posted below & couldn't remember the timing. I've posted in past, though, when my memory was still intact. happy.gif

I also think for those of us with immune issues, these cycles are better. JMHO. My RE did admit upon pressing that for someone like me, a freeze-all cycle with subsequent natural FET might actually be the best way to go.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(no login)

Unmedicated natural FET vs medicated

May 26 2012, 1:04 AM 

They are not done very often but certainly possible (I tried one!), involves tracking your cycle and pinpointing natural ovulation, then having the embryo transfer 3 or 5 days later. The estrogen to build the lining comes from your follicle (like any normal month), then the progesterone to convert lining and sustain early pregnancy comes from your corpus luteum (like any normal month). That means no meds at all (!) but a whole lot of monitoring to catch natural ovulation to get the transfer timing right, hoping that you ovulate at a good time and hoping the clinic will be available at the exact hour you need the embryos put in.

The alternative common, easy, fast way to do FETs is using some meds: patient takes an estrogen to suppress ovaries and build a lining, then takes a progesterone to convert the lining and sustain early pg. But this is NOT a "natural" or "unmedicated" cycle because the ovaries are suppressed, no estrogen or progesterone coming from the patient, all hormones from the meds. It is very easy on the patient, not much monitoring, no long term meds (only takes @ 2-3 weeks from start to transfer), very easy to schedule transfer. Usually the estrogen is enough to suppress, but if not the patient has to start over and take lupron too to shut down ovaries.

Respond to this message   
e.m.d.
(Login e.m.d.)

antagonist vs agonist medicated FET

May 26 2012, 8:16 AM 

You can also do an antagonist suppression instead of agonist. I have done this kind of FET similar to the above but with Ganirelix added in toward the end, the next will be a Lupron FET, and I would be more than happy to do an unmedicated or partially supported FET if I didn't have lining concerns that I wanted addressed. Good luck with your decision.

Respond to this message   
Pandora
(Login Pandora-VA)

Medicated (success ment)

May 26 2012, 8:54 AM 

I have done two FETs, both medicated.  One was a BFN and one was a BFP.  I was over 40 for both.  I have no idea which is better-I just went with what my dr advised.  I have been lucky enough to never have any lining problems so I am not sure if you have any particular issues that one is better than another.  I do not think though that your age has much to do with it (unless with aging your lining is not as good as it once was etc).  Good luck.

Pandora

Respond to this message   
Ariadne
(no login)

I did unmedicated, or natural, FETs three times

May 26 2012, 10:07 AM 

I loved them & it was easy. It only required 2 REs appts. 1 next-day appt. to confirm after I caught my lh surge on an opk & 1 appt. for transfer.

I did a trigger shot after an u/s & blood work confirmed the surge & I did use e2/p4 supps., I believe after transfer. I can't remember for sure about the supps. It could've been after my u/s & blood work appt.

Respond to this message   
Renata
(Login doglvr)

Don't know what's best (success ment)

May 26 2012, 5:46 PM 

But I did a medicated cycle the month after a failed fresh cycle. Transferred 2 and got twins.

Respond to this message   
smrc
(no login)

I did both (success mentioned)

May 28 2012, 11:34 PM 

medicated on a fresh cycle; unmedicated (except for some progesterone support) on my FET. I had success on the FET and it was so good to be able to avoid lupron that cycle. There is also some comfort in knowing that your own corpus lutuem (assuming you still ovulate) will be lending some additional progesterone support. I was nervous about doing an unmedicated FET initially (see my post and the helpful responses that I got herehttp://www.network54.com/Forum/57451/message/1328072983/Has+anyone+done+an+unmedicated+FET- ) but it was easy to do.

SMRC

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on FertilityCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement