<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Question - is blood type of the donor of major significance?

May 30 2012 at 10:40 PM
KinVA  (Login KinVA)

I realize this is probably an ignorant question - and is certainly one I should have asked in the lengthy preparatory process that my clinic requires! Our donor database lists the blood type of each donor, so I assume that means I should be concerned about or otherwise pay attention to it? I'm ashamed to say that I have no earthly idea what my own blood type is - and I assume that matters too? Ack? Advice and guidance appreciated! Thx!

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
green.elephant
(Login green.elephant)

Re: Question - is blood type of the donor of major significance?

May 30 2012, 10:56 PM 

I didn't know my blood type either - some intended parents select a donor with the same blood type so that their child will have the same blood type that they would have had without a donor - I'm not sure exactly why, but I guess it makes it easier not to tell your child or their medical providers about using DE. Blood type wasn't a factor in our donor choice - we will be open with our child. Good luck with your donor selection - I read your other thread and sounds like you and your husband made a great choice! happy.gif

Respond to this message   
Maggie in VA
(Login maggie1961)

Doesn't necessarily have to be your blood type . . .

May 31 2012, 10:24 AM 

Do a search and you should find charts online to show what blood types can result from parents with specified blood types. For example, I'm O-, so I'm pretty much a blank slate -- I could choose a donor with my blood type (which make for a very limited donor pool) or either allele of my partner's blood type.

http://www.biology.arizona.edu/human_bio/problem_sets/blood_types/inherited.html

This actually turned out to have been an issue for me inasmuch as I gave the Czech clinic where I cycled my blood type, but we were using DS and my partner actually did not know his blood type (and I planned to tell, so I didn't care). But when I didn't specify a blood type for my SD, the clinic unilaterally decided to choose O- donors (remember, I'm a blank slate, so ED had to be O-, too) as I didn't state that it didn't matter, and only about 8% of Caucasians are O-, so that greatly limited the donor pool and I got a BFN.

When I realized what happened, I was so paranoid that they might overlook or ignore a request that blood type didn't matter that I went to Wikipedia and looked up the largest blood type group for central Europe and gave that as DH's blood type for my second cycle. BFP.

All-in-all, even though we're pretty much tell to the world due to my age, I wish we had known DH's blood type -- he has had something like five major surgeries; how the heck did he not know? I've donated gallons of blood, so it's hard to imagine not knowing.

GL!

Maggie (in VA)

This message has been edited by maggie1961 on May 31, 2012 11:47 AM

Respond to this message   
thesameboat
(no login)

If you don't plan to tell...

May 30 2012, 11:18 PM 

then it's advisable to choose a donor that has a blood type that's compatible to what you and your DH have, but it is in no way necessary. Your chances are the same regardless. Good luck to you!

Respond to this message   
smrc
(no login)

agree with the above posters

May 31 2012, 12:52 PM 

and the only other thing my OB mentioned was that where your blood type differs from your donor's, there can sometimes be an issue with different blood types crossing the placenta (the antibodies of one type may attack the other? sorry to be so vague - i need to look into this furhter). that being, she said this is rare and treatable but something they need to watch for where the blood types differ. I'm in this boat. SMRC

Respond to this message   
thesameboat
(no login)

The Rh factor

May 31 2012, 1:13 PM 

Equally spread across all of the blood groups, 15% of each blood group is Rh negative. 85% are Rh positive. If the pregnant mom is Rh negative and the baby is Rh positive, the mom has to have a couple of shots so she can't build up immunities to future RH positvie babies. The shots are no big deal at all and every mom is routinely checked nowadays. I wouldn't refuse a donor just because she's positive unless you and your husband both are negative and you're no-tell. Best of luck!

Respond to this message   
smrc
(no login)

much more eloquently and intelligently put than me! thx n/t

May 31 2012, 3:17 PM 

Respond to this message   
Miracle_Wanted
(Login Miracle_Wanted)

Chose a donor compatible with my type...

June 1 2012, 4:53 PM 

My donor happened to have my blood type, but I was fine with finding a donor that would result with a child with a blood type that is possible from my blood type and that of my (now X) husband. We are no tell so I didn't want this giving it away unless I wanted to disclose.

Those are in the 'tell camp' aren't as concerned about it.

Respond to this message   
sugar
(no login)

Can someone please clarify for me

June 2 2012, 4:49 PM 

As I am far from science minded & am confused. I may have misunderstood but if I am O+ and DH is AB neg and hopeful donor is A neg will that mean there will be a problem?

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(no login)

You can try online blood type calculators like this one

June 3 2012, 10:23 AM 

http://www.etoolsage.com/Calculator/Blood_Type_Calculator.asp

acc'd to this, there could be a child who has AB type blood from donor + DH blood types, and AB result is not a possibility with your blood type.

Respond to this message   
sugar
(no login)

Thanks this is helpful any thoughts on Rh factor incompatibility

June 3 2012, 2:31 PM 

If I am positive and DH & donor are negative?

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(no login)

Rh outcomes

June 3 2012, 3:10 PM 

Hmmm acc'd to that link, a child would be Rh - with an Rh - egg donor, since your DH is Rh- too. But that Rh outcome is also possible using Rh+ like you have, so Rh factor would not "out" you as using DE.

Respond to this message   
sugar
(no login)

Thanks, being outed is not a concern

June 3 2012, 5:23 PM 

For me but what is a concern is due to differing Rh factors my being positive and potential negative of baby cause miscarriage due to blood type incompatibility. I apologize if I wasn't clear earlier.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(no login)

Re: Thanks, being outed is not a concern

June 3 2012, 9:57 PM 

I don't think it matters - you are Rh+ and can carry an Rh- fetus without a problem. I have never heard of Rh being a problem unless the biological mother carrying the child (you) is Rh- and the fetus is Rh+.

Respond to this message   
sugar
(no login)

That is good to know

June 3 2012, 10:41 PM 

Thank you for this clarification.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on FertilityCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement