<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Did anyone dye their hair in 1St trimester

June 2 2012 at 11:42 AM
Claudia  (no login)

My doctor said it was safe last week to dye my hair. My sister advised against it. This morning, just couldnt take all the greys. Did just the crown area in front. I started to research it on internet, got very nervous. Washed out after 15 min. Now I am so scared, think I feel cramps. Looking for some positive feedback from those that did color at week 8. It was a light hair color. Very venilated with almost no smell

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
green.elephant
(Login green.elephant)

Is your sister a doctor?

June 2 2012, 1:08 PM 

I wouldn't worry about it and go with what your doctor advised. Long ago, it was a no-no, but these days most doctors say it is fine. It is more about the chemicals in contact with your scalp than the smell, but I'm pretty sure there's no evidence it's bad - just that there's no evidence it's good so people tend to say not to. I'm sure you're fine - trust your doctor.

Respond to this message   
sugar
(no login)

I read in a hospital newsletter once

June 2 2012, 4:35 PM 

Where an OB/GYN had an question and answer column - someone asked if it was okay to color their hair an any point in pregnancy and the MD answered it was perfectly fine any time. It is only one opinion but she was an OB/GYN. Hope hearing this calms your worries a bit.

Respond to this message   
Dee S.
(Login Dee.S)

I'd go with my instincts...

June 2 2012, 5:49 PM 

When I was pregnant anything that made me question or feel nervous I avoided. What I did to help with the grays was to use Just for Men 5 minute "Beard and Mustache" color. It comes with a little brush and I did my edges and my part and that was it. The other thing I did was use a wax hair coloring crayon around my edges and part.

I needed to know for my own peace of mind I did everything right in my mind. I did not want any regrets or second guessing myself, so if there was even a little link to something bad I avoided it. I also did none of this until my 2nd trimester, but that was what my instincts told me.

Respond to this message   
Dee
(no login)

use HerbaTint

June 2 2012, 10:14 PM 

HerbaTint hair dye is the only safe hair dye, that I know of, that you can purchase at the store. Its mostly made of herbs and henna. You can find it at health food stores, and Whole Foods Market. However, it does not cover gray as well.

Clairol Natural Instincts is NOT natural, as it claims, and has all the same chemicals that you would find in other hair coloring products.

Respond to this message   
Julie
(no login)

my colorist just had a baby -- and she did not stop working . . .

June 2 2012, 11:16 PM 

while she was pregnant. I think she was exposed to WAY more than if you have a single process at 8 weeks. The big issue is letting it stay on the scalp so I think as long as you were caregul, you are fine.

Respond to this message   
Veesha
(Login Veesha)

1st, I hope you are having a wonderful pregnancy!

June 4 2012, 10:40 PM 

I wondered about that when I was pregnant with each of my kids.

My OB told me dying my hair was fine, as was getting a relaxer, which is a chemical treatment. I did so throughout my pregnancy and did the same with my 4 year old ds who is incredibly sweet and is very bright. Now I must say that I used a rinse instead of a permanent dye, but my OB did not differentiate between the 2 so I don't think he felt either was a big deal.

That being said, I agree with Dee S. I wouldn't do anything or take any risks with which I was not comfortable. So I would not do subsequent dye treatments, but I would not worry about the one that you did. If you can't live with yourself doing any more dye jobs, I would also go with something less intrusive that would give adequate coverage of your grey. I used a color stick during another period, and that worked fine. Only problem was if I touched my hair the color would transfer to my hands or anything else.

Bottom line...Don't worry!

This message has been edited by Veesha on Jun 5, 2012 12:21 AM

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on FertilityCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement