Return to Index  

Vickers Tank Pt.2

August 19 2009 at 9:35 PM

Ted Preston  (Login TeddieP)
HyperScale Forums
from IP address 24.79.251.197

Okay, moving right along...I've got the putty cleaned up, the guns installed, and I've replaced the kit antenna mount with a piece of sheet, some armature wire running into the turret, and an antenna base using a piece from the original kit antenna:
[linked image]
The kit is missing the small viewing aperature on the mantlet right beside the guns. After drilling two small holes in some .010 thou sheet and then cutting and trimming between the holes, I trimmed it square. I then glued the piece to more .010 thou sheet, trimmed THAT square, and glued the works on the turret:
[linked image]
The kit piece representing the triangle-shaped panel on the side of the turret was over-sized, so I sanded it down until the lip on the kit part disappeared and glued that on:
[linked image]
After complaining I had virtually no reference material to work with, I was directed to Google Images (Thanks Allan Buttrick!) and found some great shots of a 1/35 scale resin Mk. VIc from Int'l Models of Asia (IMA):
[linked image]
[linked image]
Soooo...an interior we must have! Some minor surgery on the upper hull, for a start:
[linked image]
And Roland the Headless Vickers Driver (Tip o' the hat to Warren Zevon) to provide some interior scale:
[linked image]
Okay, now here's where things started to go wrong. Here are some other shots of the IMA Vickers:
[linked image]
[linked image]
Look at the guns. Now look at my guns again:
[linked image]
Blast und Dang! I completely overlooked how the guns are sheathed in metal housings distinctive to the Mk.VIc! Sheesh - HOW did I miss that? Okay, I've come this far, so there's only one thing to do. Hack 'em off and scratchbuild replacement guns:
[linked image]
More later!
Best...Ted...

Respond to this message   
Responses

HyperScale's Group Build Guidelines

The objective of this Group Build is to encourage as many modellers as possible to build their kits and share their progress via words and photos on this Forum.

You are welcome to post general construction tips or relevant reference information and photos to this Forum too.

This Group Build will feature Airfix, Frog and Matchbox kits.

1. Build as many kits as you like

2. Conversions, aftermarket and scratchbuilding are all permitted.

3. Any markings are acceptable.

4. Document your progress and do a write-up on your build - where did you have trouble, what improvements did you make, what markings did you choose and why? It would be GREAT if everyone would do a writeup and submit it to HyperScale as a Feature Article.

Posting or replying to messages on The Group Build Forum requires visitors to register. If you have not already registered on one of HyperScale's other Forums, you will need to:

1. First register with Network 54, the Forum provider.Click here to register with Network 54.

2. Then, you can sign up for HyperScale's forums. Click here to sign up for HyperScale's forums.

Your user name and password will give you full posting privileges to all of HyperScale Forums.

free counters