Return to Index  

Vickers Tank Pt.3

August 23 2009 at 11:49 PM

Ted Preston  (Login TeddieP)
HyperScale Forums
from IP address 24.79.251.197

My last post ended with the realization I had muffed up the guns for the Mk.VIc version, so I hacked 'em off and scratched some replacements. What was needed is a box structure around the Besa 15mm and the .303 machine gun. The structure is 10 thou sheet styrene, cut, fitted and sanded.:
[linked image]
I messed up this job using the original Airfix barrels, but I found a barrel assembly from an old Scimitar kit, and used that for the breeches the second time around. I added a stretched sprue barrel for the 15mm, but kept the original barrel from the Airfix .303 coaxial gun. I noticed from reference photos that the MkVIc had a square shaped panel on the side of the turret. I cut off the triangular shaped one and added the new square one:
[linked image]
The kit searchlight was drilled out, cut off its mount, and placed atop some bits of sheet cobbled together to form a new mount:
[linked image]
The smoke dischargers were drilled out on both ends, and bits of sprue were added for the wires running into the turret. I tried using armature wire for this, but the tiny bits proved beyond my hammy fingers, so it the sprue was substituted even though it looks over-sized:
[linked image]
Time to move on to the interior. I carefully test fitted the right side bulkhead, then added bits of sheet and sprue:
[linked image]
The inside edge of the back bulkhead is supposed to be a rounded shape, but after two tries, I couldn't manage it. I opted for the square shape, figuring not much will be seen inside once the driver figure is installed:
[linked image]
[linked image]
Roland the headless Vickers Driver now has a head, albeit one from that awful Airfix soft-plastic RAF ground crew set (I say awful because I find that soft-plastic extremely difficult to work with):
[linked image]
Okay, now this is starting to look like a tank:
[linked image]
Some sheet styrene was added along the left side bulkhead to replace what was lost when I cut out the hatch. The other strip on the right side bulkhead is a piece of metal on the tank that the hatch rests on when it's closed up:
[linked image]
Hey! Watch where you're pointing that thing! An Airfix ground crew figure (hard styrene - Yes!) from one of their RAF vehicle kits, added for scale. My, that's a tiny tank!
[linked image]
Hope y'all enjoy the post. More later!
Best! Ted...

Respond to this message   
Responses

HyperScale's Group Build Guidelines

The objective of this Group Build is to encourage as many modellers as possible to build their kits and share their progress via words and photos on this Forum.

You are welcome to post general construction tips or relevant reference information and photos to this Forum too.

This Group Build will feature Airfix, Frog and Matchbox kits.

1. Build as many kits as you like

2. Conversions, aftermarket and scratchbuilding are all permitted.

3. Any markings are acceptable.

4. Document your progress and do a write-up on your build - where did you have trouble, what improvements did you make, what markings did you choose and why? It would be GREAT if everyone would do a writeup and submit it to HyperScale as a Feature Article.

Posting or replying to messages on The Group Build Forum requires visitors to register. If you have not already registered on one of HyperScale's other Forums, you will need to:

1. First register with Network 54, the Forum provider.Click here to register with Network 54.

2. Then, you can sign up for HyperScale's forums. Click here to sign up for HyperScale's forums.

Your user name and password will give you full posting privileges to all of HyperScale Forums.

free counters