Return to Index  

The Big Spit - Pilot Training

December 13 2010 at 12:17 AM

Ted Preston  (Login TeddieP)
HyperScale Forums
from IP address

"Pilot Training." Yeah, that would be me. I've painted plenty of 1/72 scale pilot figures, but 1/24 scale is a first for me. Last episode ended with our boy getting a coat of Testor's tan on his face:
[linked image]
Now, after painting boots, helmet and parachute straps, he's looking more like 'The Mummy':
[linked image]
Ah, that's better. More pilot-like now (In case you noticed, our boy's thumb is green because a piece of it came away with the masking tape. Some Squadron putty put things right again.):
[linked image]
Since our Spit is to be a flying model, our boy needs full flying gear. This is the look I'm reaching for:
[linked image]
I tried smash-molding our boy's face into some hot plastic to make a face mask, but ended up with something looking like an ancient death mask. So I popped a styrene rod into his mouth with a slice of sprue runner on the end as a start on a face mask:
[linked image]
I then painted some masking tape with Tamiya buff and tried stretching it around the mask. That didn't work - I couldn't get the shape right:
[linked image]
I decided to stretch-form a mask over a piece of balsa wood sanded into a face mask shape. Here's the result:
[linked image]
Yeah, yeah, - okay, knock it off youse guys. I can hear you laughing from here. I KNOW what this looks like. Sheesh. That's why they call it a COCK-pit. After trimming and sanding the condom...Er, looks like a good fit:
[linked image]
I used Tamiya buff again for the face mask and popped our boy into the cockpit to see how everything looked:
[linked image]
Hmmm. The mask looks funny - almost like a snout. Aw Jeez - okay, check out this shot. Our boy looks like the dog Gromit from the Wallace and Gromit animation series. Doh!
[linked image]
Blast! That won't do. Off with the mask, more trimming and sanding, and I shortened the rod in our boy's mouth to boot. A different colour of paint on the mask, and things are looking good again:
[linked image]
On to the Sutton harness. I cut strips of lead foil from a wine bottle and poked holes in 'em with a needle:
[linked image]
Then I slathered on some Humbrol Khaki and when that dried, I dipped a toothpick into some Humbrol no.11 silver and poked it into the holes to replicate the metal 'buttons' on the Sutton harness:
[linked image]
I got started on the radio lead by twisting three strands of armature wire together:
[linked image]
The pin which secured the Sutton harness straps together is another piece of aramature wire wrapped around a piece of stretched sprue:
[linked image]
Okay, the forward Sutton harness is installed, with the pin in place:
[linked image]
Now the radio lead is attached to the helmet. One strand connects to the front of the face mask, the other two connect to the helmet headphones. By the way, the oxygen hose is a piece of tungsten I scored from a (very) large light bulb, and dipped into a bottle of black paint:
[linked image]
In all the reference material I looked for on where the radio plugged into the cockpit, the only one I found was a Spitfire pilot manual which said "the R/T connection was to the right of the pilot seat." That was it - a brief line of text and no photos - all I could find. So I ran the radio wire to the right of the seat:
[linked image]
Now our boy is looking pretty good inside the cockpit:
[linked image]
The last step here is to add the rear bits of the Sutton harness, which runs back through the cockpit bulkhead. I also handed our boy his joystick:
[linked image]
Whew! Pilot training is over! Now we graduate to closing up the cockpit. This build should move a lot faster now!

WIP Build:
The Big Spit Pt.1; The Big Spit Pt.2; The Big Spit Pt.3; The Big Spit Pt.4; The Big Spit Pt.5; The Big Spit Pt.6;

Previous WIP Builds:
Vickers Tank Pt.1; Vickers Tank Pt.2; Vickers Tank Pt.3; Vickers Tank Pt.4; Vickers Tank Pt.5; Vickers Tank Pt.6; Vickers Tank Finish;
Connies Pt.1; Connies Pt.2; Connies Pt.3; Connies Pt.4; Connies Pt.5; Connies Pt.6; Connies Pt.7; Connies Finish

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

Respond to this message   

HyperScale's Group Build Guidelines

The objective of this Group Build is to encourage as many modellers as possible to build their kits and share their progress via words and photos on this Forum.

You are welcome to post general construction tips or relevant reference information and photos to this Forum too.

This Group Build will feature Airfix, Frog and Matchbox kits.

1. Build as many kits as you like

2. Conversions, aftermarket and scratchbuilding are all permitted.

3. Any markings are acceptable.

4. Document your progress and do a write-up on your build - where did you have trouble, what improvements did you make, what markings did you choose and why? It would be GREAT if everyone would do a writeup and submit it to HyperScale as a Feature Article.

Posting or replying to messages on The Group Build Forum requires visitors to register. If you have not already registered on one of HyperScale's other Forums, you will need to:

1. First register with Network 54, the Forum provider.Click here to register with Network 54.

2. Then, you can sign up for HyperScale's forums. Click here to sign up for HyperScale's forums.

Your user name and password will give you full posting privileges to all of HyperScale Forums.

free counters