Return to Index  

The Big Spit - Fuselage Closed

December 29 2010 at 10:18 PM

Ted Preston  (Login TeddieP)
HyperScale Forums
from IP address 24.79.241.254

Hi all - work on the Big Spit is now proceeding fairly rapidly. Dermot mentioned our boy needs a pilot's rank, so here it is: Sergeant Pilot! I laid some Polly Scale US Navy Sea Blue on a clear decal sheet, then penciled in the rank markings and the 'Canada' shoulder flash using a Prisma Silver Pencil. After slathering on some Micro-Clear decal film, the rank markings were carefully trimmed and applied:
[linked image]
Chris Brown figured our boy needed gloves to handle the cold at high altitude, and that made sense. A layer of white glue over the hands and when that dried, some Model Master Military Brown to replicate his leather gloves (apologies for the crappy photo):
[linked image]
Before installing the electic motor, I had to grind away some plastic to make sure the kit-supplied motor mounts fit properly:
[linked image]
Okay, about that oxygen hose connection. Again, apologies for the photo. I didn't know how the heck that hose connected to its attachment point. I thought about it from the pilot's point of view. Running it below the elbow would mean it would interfere if our boy wanted to reach for the landing gear lever, the harness quick release, the radio plug and numerous other lower starboard fuselage fittings. So I ran it above the arm. That does make sense?
[linked image]
Replacing the tiny air scoop on the top engine cover seems to be standard operating procedure with this kit, from other builds I've seen. I mounted some 020 thou card in a cardboard frame, heated it over a stove element, and poked a shaped toothpick up into it. After trimming, it looked the part:
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
Okay - after installing the engine side panels, I ran into the infamous Airfix 1/24 scale Spitfire top engine cowling fit issue. It was just too damn wide to fit properly. After some intense eyballing and pondering, I finally sliced the bloody thing in two and installed each half separately:
[linked image]
I sliced off the kit rudder trim tab rod and cobbled together a replacement from sprue and sheet. But the rod looks bent, so I'll replace it:
[linked image]
A similar treatment for the rudder trim tab linkage:
[linked image]
Next steps: Fair in the engine cowlings and tone down the fuselage riveting. Then it's on to the wings. Stay tuned!
Best...Ted...

WIP Build:
The Big Spit Pt.1; The Big Spit Pt.2; The Big Spit Pt.3; The Big Spit Pt.4; The Big Spit Pt.5; The Big Spit Pt.6;
The Big Spit Pt.7;

Previous WIP Builds:
Vickers Tank Pt.1; Vickers Tank Pt.2; Vickers Tank Pt.3; Vickers Tank Pt.4; Vickers Tank Pt.5; Vickers Tank Pt.6; Vickers Tank Finish;
Connies Pt.1; Connies Pt.2; Connies Pt.3; Connies Pt.4; Connies Pt.5; Connies Pt.6; Connies Pt.7; Connies Finish

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

Respond to this message   
Responses

HyperScale's Group Build Guidelines

The objective of this Group Build is to encourage as many modellers as possible to build their kits and share their progress via words and photos on this Forum.

You are welcome to post general construction tips or relevant reference information and photos to this Forum too.

This Group Build will feature Airfix, Frog and Matchbox kits.

1. Build as many kits as you like

2. Conversions, aftermarket and scratchbuilding are all permitted.

3. Any markings are acceptable.

4. Document your progress and do a write-up on your build - where did you have trouble, what improvements did you make, what markings did you choose and why? It would be GREAT if everyone would do a writeup and submit it to HyperScale as a Feature Article.

Posting or replying to messages on The Group Build Forum requires visitors to register. If you have not already registered on one of HyperScale's other Forums, you will need to:

1. First register with Network 54, the Forum provider.Click here to register with Network 54.

2. Then, you can sign up for HyperScale's forums. Click here to sign up for HyperScale's forums.

Your user name and password will give you full posting privileges to all of HyperScale Forums.

free counters