Return to Index  

The Big Spit - Decals On!

April 24 2011 at 12:30 PM

Ted Preston  (Login TeddieP)
HyperScale Forums
from IP address

Hello again fellow Hyperscalers and a Happy Easter to you all! Progress continues on The Big Spit. Last chapter, the underside received its coating of Tamiya Sky acrylic. While masking the wheels I poked the oleo legs down inside the wings and had to carefully cut out the whole works and reinstall. Doh!
[linked image]
[linked image]
Topside received its camouflage of MM RAF Dark Earth and Dark Green. I tried free-handing the camo scheme to get that feathered look between the colours, but botched it. Ah well - I remasked and resprayed and the hard edges look okay to me:
[linked image]
Before reaching for the Future, I suddenly remembered I had these Hobby Decal dry transfers for the Spitfire stencils. I wasn't sure how they would rub down on a gloss coat of Future, so I laid 'em down on the flat paint. They worked like a charm. Position, rub down, lift carefully, then press some more with an old T-shirt:
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
The Future worked out great - I've never used it before. I followed the advice you guys gave me. Three coats misted on, then a heavier fourth coat. Perfect. I couldn't get the Airfix decals to stick - no way, no how. I reached for a set of Aviaeology Hurricane decals and by gum the roundels and serials looked a perfect fit. They went on like a dream:
[linked image]
[linked image]
I was careful not to use Micro Sol on the decals. I was warned the Sol would react badly with the Future. I used Micro Set instead (the stuff that smells like vinegar) and the decals snuggled down beautifully. The fuselage codes were a problem. The Aviaeology Hurricane ones were too big. I used the Airfix letters as a guide to cut out a paper mask, laid 'em on a white decal sheet, then sprayed Tamiya Sky Grey (XF-19).
[linked image]
[linked image]
That worked too! Dang - I'm on a roll here! I wanted to personalize this ship somehow, so I robbed some other decals from the spares box:
[linked image]
For the gun port tape I used...uh...tape. Tamiya tape that is. Sprayed some red over the tape, cut out the squares and pressed them down. I hacked out the holes with an X-Acto knife and ended up with a nice, realistic 'blast' look around the gun ports. More Future to seal everything in, and I'll dirty it all up when the oil wash goes on:
[linked image]
Okay, here's where we're at now. Ready for washes and then on to final assembly! Yee Haa!
[linked image]
Kudos, comments, critiques and questions always welcome.
Best! Ted!

WIP Build:
The Big Spit Pt.1; The Big Spit Pt.2; The Big Spit Pt.3; The Big Spit Pt.4; The Big Spit Pt.5; The Big Spit Pt.6;
The Big Spit Pt.7; The Big Spit Pt.8; The Big Spit Pt.9; The Big Spit Pt.10;

Previous WIP Builds:
Vickers Tank Pt.1; Vickers Tank Pt.2; Vickers Tank Pt.3; Vickers Tank Pt.4; Vickers Tank Pt.5; Vickers Tank Pt.6; Vickers Tank Finish;
Connies Pt.1; Connies Pt.2; Connies Pt.3; Connies Pt.4; Connies Pt.5; Connies Pt.6; Connies Pt.7; Connies Finish

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

Respond to this message   

HyperScale's Group Build Guidelines

The objective of this Group Build is to encourage as many modellers as possible to build their kits and share their progress via words and photos on this Forum.

You are welcome to post general construction tips or relevant reference information and photos to this Forum too.

This Group Build will feature Airfix, Frog and Matchbox kits.

1. Build as many kits as you like

2. Conversions, aftermarket and scratchbuilding are all permitted.

3. Any markings are acceptable.

4. Document your progress and do a write-up on your build - where did you have trouble, what improvements did you make, what markings did you choose and why? It would be GREAT if everyone would do a writeup and submit it to HyperScale as a Feature Article.

Posting or replying to messages on The Group Build Forum requires visitors to register. If you have not already registered on one of HyperScale's other Forums, you will need to:

1. First register with Network 54, the Forum provider.Click here to register with Network 54.

2. Then, you can sign up for HyperScale's forums. Click here to sign up for HyperScale's forums.

Your user name and password will give you full posting privileges to all of HyperScale Forums.

free counters