Return to Index  

Matilda Makeover - BEF Armour Force

June 14 2011 at 6:08 PM

Ted Preston  (Login TeddieP)
HyperScale Forums
from IP address 64.4.69.110

Some of you may remember the little 1/76 scale Airfix Vickers tank I built a while back:
[linked image]
I was so taken by the cool camouflage and markings of this BEF tank I decided
I wanted the Airfix Matilda (same scale) kit that I had already built to be part of
the BEF as well. Here's what the Matilda looked like before the makeover began:
[linked image]
I actually started on this project halfway through The Big Spit build, but shelved it.
I had some WIP shots, but lost them in a hard-drive meltdown. Here's as far as I got:
[linked image]
The Airfix kit is the later Mark II version and the Matilda used by the BEF looked a
little different. I wasn't going to tear the whole kit apart, so I satisfied myself to dress up the kit so it looked the part. I cut off the old machine gun
and reshaped another from a piece of rod to look like the earlier style. Bits of sheet styrene were cut to extend the mudguards:
[linked image]
The rear mudguards got the same treatment, and more sheet was cut and shaped for that
big, clunky exhaust housing hanging off the tank's butt. The vertical cylinder on the turret was another piece of rod:
[linked image]
To flesh out my armour force, I picked up the excellent cast resin A13 Early cruiser tank from Milicast Models. The hull and road
wheels are a single casting and the cleanup was a breeze. I replaced the smoke dischargers on the turret with bits of rod and sprue, and that was it:
[linked image]
Now here's something weird - the bottom of the Cruiser tank casting was wide open, so I cut a piece of .10 thou sheet to cover it.
I guess the styrene was too thin, because it buckled and heaved after the paint dried:
[linked image]
Also from Milicast, I snagged their little A11 matilda Infantry tank. The late style, with the repositioned headlamps and hull storage boxes.
I added the driver side mirror and some square bits front and back that will hold the unit markings. I rebuilt the headlamps as well, as the resin originals
were a bit gummed up with flash:
[linked image]
Now, this kit needed some very delicate cleanup around the treads and running gear!
Both track sides are molded as separate pieces and they're very weak and fiddly:
[linked image]
Well, next step is to mask up these babies and get the camo on. Hope you like 'em!
Best...Ted...

Tall Tales:
Kanal Kampf: A Spitfire Story
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

Previous WIP Builds:
The Big Spit Pt.1; The Big Spit Pt.2; The Big Spit Pt.3; The Big Spit Pt.4; The Big Spit Pt.5; The Big Spit Pt.6;
The Big Spit Pt.7; The Big Spit Pt.8; The Big Spit Pt.9; The Big Spit Pt.10; The Big Spit Pt.11; The Big Spit Finish;

Me109 Pt.1; Me109 Pt.2; Me109 Pt.3; Me109 Finish;
Vickers Tank Pt.1; Vickers Tank Pt.2; Vickers Tank Pt.3; Vickers Tank Pt.4; Vickers Tank Pt.5; Vickers Tank Pt.6; Vickers Tank Finish;
Connies Pt.1; Connies Pt.2; Connies Pt.3; Connies Pt.4; Connies Pt.5; Connies Pt.6; Connies Pt.7; Connies Finish

Respond to this message   
Responses

HyperScale's Group Build Guidelines

The objective of this Group Build is to encourage as many modellers as possible to build their kits and share their progress via words and photos on this Forum.

You are welcome to post general construction tips or relevant reference information and photos to this Forum too.

This Group Build will feature Airfix, Frog and Matchbox kits.

1. Build as many kits as you like

2. Conversions, aftermarket and scratchbuilding are all permitted.

3. Any markings are acceptable.

4. Document your progress and do a write-up on your build - where did you have trouble, what improvements did you make, what markings did you choose and why? It would be GREAT if everyone would do a writeup and submit it to HyperScale as a Feature Article.

Posting or replying to messages on The Group Build Forum requires visitors to register. If you have not already registered on one of HyperScale's other Forums, you will need to:

1. First register with Network 54, the Forum provider.Click here to register with Network 54.

2. Then, you can sign up for HyperScale's forums. Click here to sign up for HyperScale's forums.

Your user name and password will give you full posting privileges to all of HyperScale Forums.

free counters