Return to Index  

Matilda Makover - BEF Armour Force Done!

July 27 2011 at 2:35 PM

Ted Preston  (Login TeddieP)
HyperScale Forums
from IP address 64.4.69.110

The BEF Armoured Force is ready for action! Advancing to contact are an Airfix Matilda Infantry Tank Mk.II (Matilda Mk.I), a Milicast Models Cruiser A13 Mk.II, an Airfix Vickers Mk.VIc and the Milicast Infantry Tank Matilda Mk.I (A11):
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
After applying a black oil wash to the AB figures they were flat coated and then all the machines were lightly mucked up with some basic Humbrol brown paint. The big Matilda, unknown squadron, 7th Bn Royal Tank Regiment, 1st (Army) Tank Brigade, Arras, France, June 1940:
[linked image]
[linked image]
Cruiser Mk. IVA, 5 Troop, B Squadron, 2nd Bn Royal Tank Regiment, 3rd Armd Bde, 1st Armd Div, 1940:
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
Matilda Mk.I (A11), unknown squadron, 4th Bn Royal Tank Regiment, 1st (Army) Tank Brigade, France, 1940:
[linked image]
[linked image]
And the Vickers Mk.VIc (this was built previously, but an AB Figures crewman added for this project), Headquarters, B Squadron, 9th Queen's Royal Lancers, 2nd Armd Bde, 1st Armd Div, France, June 1940:
[linked image]
As many of you know, virtually none of the BEF's heavy equipment made it back to Britain after the debacle in France. I couldn't help wondering about the ultimate fate of these iconic British armoured vehicles. I assigned my Project X team of investigators to see what they could uncover. Turns out the Cruiser Mk.IVA was abandoned outside Dunkirk. It was recovered by the Germans and eventually assigned to a local militia unit in Hungary. Captured by the Russians, the Cruiser was used as a firing range target in the 1950's and 60's. The range is no longer in use, but the rusty, scattered remains of the Cruiser can still be seen there to this day:
[linked image]
The Matilda Mk.II was knocked out during the Battle of Arras. The burned out hulk was shipped to a Krupp factory in Essen and melted down into U-Boat parts. It's ironic to consider that most of the Matilda ended up at the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean:
[linked image]
The Vickers Mk.VIc was destroyed by a Panzer 38(t) in an ambush during the retreat from Arras. It sat in a field outside a French village until well after the war, used as a playground structure by local children until finally hauled away to the scrapyard:
[linked image]
The Matilda Mk.I (A11) was also found abandoned at Dunkirk. It languished in a vehicle park until a French farmer bought it after the war to use as a tractor. It sat forgotten in a barn until the late 1990's when it was discovered by a group of British armour enthusiasts who returned it to England and restored it to running condition, where it draws interested crowds:
[linked image]
Fun little builds, all. And a fun little epilogue for your entertainment!
Best...Ted...

Current Build:
Matilda Makeover Pt.1; Matilda Makeover Pt.2; Matilda Makeover Pt.3;

Tall Tales:
Kanal Kampf: A Spitfire Story
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

Previous WIP Builds:
The Big Spit Pt.1; The Big Spit Pt.2; The Big Spit Pt.3; The Big Spit Pt.4; The Big Spit Pt.5; The Big Spit Pt.6;
The Big Spit Pt.7; The Big Spit Pt.8; The Big Spit Pt.9; The Big Spit Pt.10; The Big Spit Pt.11; The Big Spit Finish;

Me109 Pt.1; Me109 Pt.2; Me109 Pt.3; Me109 Finish;

Vickers Tank Pt.1; Vickers Tank Pt.2; Vickers Tank Pt.3; Vickers Tank Pt.4; Vickers Tank Pt.5; Vickers Tank Pt.6; Vickers Tank Finish;

Connies Pt.1; Connies Pt.2; Connies Pt.3; Connies Pt.4; Connies Pt.5; Connies Pt.6; Connies Pt.7; Connies Finish

Respond to this message   
Responses

HyperScale's Group Build Guidelines

The objective of this Group Build is to encourage as many modellers as possible to build their kits and share their progress via words and photos on this Forum.

You are welcome to post general construction tips or relevant reference information and photos to this Forum too.

This Group Build will feature Airfix, Frog and Matchbox kits.

1. Build as many kits as you like

2. Conversions, aftermarket and scratchbuilding are all permitted.

3. Any markings are acceptable.

4. Document your progress and do a write-up on your build - where did you have trouble, what improvements did you make, what markings did you choose and why? It would be GREAT if everyone would do a writeup and submit it to HyperScale as a Feature Article.

Posting or replying to messages on The Group Build Forum requires visitors to register. If you have not already registered on one of HyperScale's other Forums, you will need to:

1. First register with Network 54, the Forum provider.Click here to register with Network 54.

2. Then, you can sign up for HyperScale's forums. Click here to sign up for HyperScale's forums.

Your user name and password will give you full posting privileges to all of HyperScale Forums.

free counters