Return to Index  

Resin Casting Tutorial................

April 24 2012 at 5:46 PM
Allan Buttrick  (Login Allan31)
HyperScale Forums
from IP address 99.51.244.16

Response to Hi Allan: Did you make a one-piece mold for the tires? Can you please describe...

Le Mans cars are my favorite, especially from the 70's and they must have big and fats all around in order to be a proper model. There is just no cheating in a view like this...

[linked image]

I found some good masters to cast but the fronts were too large so I cut a chunk out and re-glued them down to the proper diameter. I cut and glued a disc inside so the casting material will not meet in the middle. I then glued a post on.

[linked image]

I glued them to a .040thou. piece of sheet styrene.

[linked image]

I then boxed in the tires making sure I would have no leaks and poured in the silicone. Try and tease out the air bubbles from inside the rim. No biggy if you miss one, it will just be a resin bead to cut off when you cast the resin.

[linked image]

When the silicone is cured, break away the sides and snap off your tire posts from the bottom. Find those little posts and cut down to the middle of the tire. Make an irregular cut so the two halves will "key" together. Remove the master and posts. Enlarge where your post was and this is your pouring slot. Near where the pouring slot is, I cut an air shaft for the air to escape while pouring in your casting resin.

[linked image]

[linked image]

Sheet plastic and rubber bands hold the halves together while pouring resin. Not too tight or the silicone will deform. Two pours from the same mold gives me one set of tires. I flat spot tires for a weighted effect, I do it were the pour sprue was.

[linked image]

I have Colotti and ZF gear boxes, Halibrands and cross-flow intake manifolds and tons of other neat stuff. All you need do is find one good one or make it your self...

[linked image]

[linked image]

The molds are good for about 100 "pulls" or copies. Some of these molds are almost 20 years old and I could use them...

[linked image]

Pilots, engines, cockpits, propellers and on and on. Have a blast. Make sure you only use them for yourself and not re-sale, copyright infringement and all.
Yet another aspect of the hobby to make it even more fun than it already is.

Thanks,
Allan

Youth, talent, hard work, and enthusiasm are no match for old age and treachery.

Multiple Mosquito Build, 1/72: Intro Part 1 Part 1.5 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Fini

Fathers Day A6M2: Intro Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Finish

Airfix Stuka 1/72: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Finish

Airfix Hurricane 1/72: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Finish

Airfix Orion III: Build Tutorial Finish

Respond to this message   
Responses

HyperScale's Group Build Guidelines

The objective of this Group Build is to encourage as many modellers as possible to build their kits and share their progress via words and photos on this Forum.

You are welcome to post general construction tips or relevant reference information and photos to this Forum too.

This Group Build will feature Airfix, Frog and Matchbox kits.

1. Build as many kits as you like

2. Conversions, aftermarket and scratchbuilding are all permitted.

3. Any markings are acceptable.

4. Document your progress and do a write-up on your build - where did you have trouble, what improvements did you make, what markings did you choose and why? It would be GREAT if everyone would do a writeup and submit it to HyperScale as a Feature Article.

Posting or replying to messages on The Group Build Forum requires visitors to register. If you have not already registered on one of HyperScale's other Forums, you will need to:

1. First register with Network 54, the Forum provider.Click here to register with Network 54.

2. Then, you can sign up for HyperScale's forums. Click here to sign up for HyperScale's forums.

Your user name and password will give you full posting privileges to all of HyperScale Forums.

free counters