Return to Index  

Newbie AMEGB Whirlwind Part 2...Small Progress...

May 17 2012 at 7:30 AM
Steve S  (Login fightersweep)
HyperScale Forums
from IP address 86.146.97.115

Hi Guys...

With four young kids and little modelling time, progress on this Whirlwind "Whif" might be a tad slow...but there is a bit of fun to report.

The kit cockpit seemed a bit sparse, so a bit of "Gizmology" was required to beef the interior up a bit. Great thing about "What If" modelling...you can make it up as you go along!

Here's the basis of the cockpit so far...

[IMG][linked image][/IMG]

Next, the wheel wells needed a bit of imagination, so this is the start of a bit of extra interest in the gear bays. Undercarriage legs will be a single leg affair..

As my second Airfix Spit XIX arrived yesterday, I couldn't resist breaking out some more Tamiya tape to bung the thing together to get a better idea of the finished item. As you can see, I'm toying with the idea of using a canopy and rail hacked from a Matchbox Fw-190 to use as the basis of the canopy for the Whirlwind. It does seem to suit it!

Enlarged rudder is from a Matchbox P-47 and the wing mounted radar pod is a spare from an Italeri F4U-5.

I'm really enjoying this build so far and participating in the group build and watching some of the great skills displayed in other posts. This is a great place to be that, as far as I'm concerned, is what real modelling is all about. Super bunch of folks too! I feel right at home here.

I must also get this beast finished soon as it's been on the go for three years on and off...and it's Airfix of course...

...And there's plenty of other old classics to choose from too!

Thanks for looking!

Regards;
Steve

This message has been edited by fightersweep from IP address 86.146.97.115 on May 17, 2012 7:31 AM

Respond to this message   
Responses

HyperScale's Group Build Guidelines

The objective of this Group Build is to encourage as many modellers as possible to build their kits and share their progress via words and photos on this Forum.

You are welcome to post general construction tips or relevant reference information and photos to this Forum too.

This Group Build will feature Airfix, Frog and Matchbox kits.

1. Build as many kits as you like

2. Conversions, aftermarket and scratchbuilding are all permitted.

3. Any markings are acceptable.

4. Document your progress and do a write-up on your build - where did you have trouble, what improvements did you make, what markings did you choose and why? It would be GREAT if everyone would do a writeup and submit it to HyperScale as a Feature Article.

Posting or replying to messages on The Group Build Forum requires visitors to register. If you have not already registered on one of HyperScale's other Forums, you will need to:

1. First register with Network 54, the Forum provider.Click here to register with Network 54.

2. Then, you can sign up for HyperScale's forums. Click here to sign up for HyperScale's forums.

Your user name and password will give you full posting privileges to all of HyperScale Forums.

free counters