Return to Index  

The Twin Battle, part 1

May 18 2012 at 8:40 AM
  (Login Plong2369)
HyperScale Forums
from IP address 86.186.245.26

Once again, the Real World has been taking its toll on the available modelling time. I confess, I have been deviating from the One True Brand lately, in the form of a pair of Trumpeter Wellingtons. Just for the record, here they are-

[linked image]

[linked image]

I've always been fond of the elegant Fairey Battle. In Aviation Guide #1 by Ian Huntley, passing mention is made of the fact that from the off, Marcel Lobelle the designer was constantly asking the Air Ministry to allow two engines on the projected light bomber which ended up being the Battle. He'd calculated that it would be impossible for the aircraft to perform its task on the power of one engine, and tragically, history showed us all how right he was. This drawing shows us how things could have been-

[linked image]

Inspired by this, I am entering the multi-engined Group Build with the Twin Battle, or Twattle as I am sure it would have undoubtedly been dubbed by its aircrews! Bringing the Battle into the realm of What-Iffery also lets the venerable Airfix kit off the many hooks it has accrued as regards its outline. The initial plan was to chop off the nose, replace the wings with those of a Matchbox Me410 and use a pair of Hurricane noses for the nacelles. Once I actually got the Wellingtons off the workbench, I realised that Me110 wings would serve better, because the nacelles protrude from below the wings a little further, and I wanted this for my model.I didn't fancy trying to add nacelles to the existing kit wings because, as you are about to see, I don't think my cutting and scratchbuilding skills are up to it! In addition to building up the nacelles, I'd have to move all the underwing holes around, and I just felt that the blanker canvas of the 110 wing would serve me better. Time will tell if my hunch was right.

I started with this, the current issue of the kit-

[linked image]

[linked image]

One of the features of Airfix kits of the late 1960's is that however wrong they were, they tended to fit together well. Even after this many issues, the old mould is holding up ok-

[linked image]

The wings were going to come from an old paint mule, in the form of a Frog Me110G- keeping it all nice and classic!

[linked image]

Work begins on constructing the nacelle. I'm no scratchbuilder, so I'm using all the help I can get. I figured that a 1/48 P-51 drop tank yielded some suitable looking curves to beef it up. The front plate is cut from a thick piece of plastic card and serves as a guide for the imbroglio of putty and sprue out of which the rest of the structure will be comprised-

[linked image]

By this stage, I'd assembled all the fuselage bits. I've not done any work in the cockpits, other than to glue in the kit bulkheads and floors.Fiddly Stuff can go in later if all the Big Stuff goes ok! Here's a shot of the wing lined up on the fuselage. The nose is already off, and to accommodate the difference in wing chord, I've cut a section from the inboard leading edge. This will eventually be a leading edge radiator insert, a la Firefly. It will also save me having to build two identical radiator baths, and then try to fair them into the complex curvature under the engines.

[linked image]

With a good dollop of filler, plastic strip and liquid cement, the nacelle takes shape- in the end, I bought two resin Battle noses from Valiant Wings, to get a better "Fairey" look than the Hurricane noses would have given.

[linked image]

Here's the current state of the underwing. The location of the old Messerschmitt radiator bath provided the hole for the bomb cells so much a feature of the Battle-

[linked image]

The new nose started life as a drop tank from a 1/48th P-47- it's very much more bulbous than the drawing, but I liked the look of it, and I feel that it would be a better shape for the vast battery of cannon which I plan to install. Anyway, this is whiffery, so it's all correct!

[linked image]

And here it is attaches with near Swiss-Watch like precision to the fuselage-

[linked image]

Although possessing a pleasing profile, the new nose was way too wide in plan. After a vigourous go with the saw, we got to this-

[linked image]

As I said, It's a good job I'm not a brain surgeon.

And here endeth day 1! As the air in the forum is thick with Fairies, I though I'd post this article from the December 1978 Airfix Mag. It's where I got the idea for using Messerschmitt components. Alan Butler's article is a beautiful study in how to really have fun making models, and I feel is true to many of the values we hold so dear here-

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

More from the Shed soon,

Pete.

Respond to this message   
Responses

HyperScale's Group Build Guidelines

The objective of this Group Build is to encourage as many modellers as possible to build their kits and share their progress via words and photos on this Forum.

You are welcome to post general construction tips or relevant reference information and photos to this Forum too.

This Group Build will feature Airfix, Frog and Matchbox kits.

1. Build as many kits as you like

2. Conversions, aftermarket and scratchbuilding are all permitted.

3. Any markings are acceptable.

4. Document your progress and do a write-up on your build - where did you have trouble, what improvements did you make, what markings did you choose and why? It would be GREAT if everyone would do a writeup and submit it to HyperScale as a Feature Article.

Posting or replying to messages on The Group Build Forum requires visitors to register. If you have not already registered on one of HyperScale's other Forums, you will need to:

1. First register with Network 54, the Forum provider.Click here to register with Network 54.

2. Then, you can sign up for HyperScale's forums. Click here to sign up for HyperScale's forums.

Your user name and password will give you full posting privileges to all of HyperScale Forums.

free counters