Return to Index  

AMEGB - a Mozzie.

May 26 2012 at 7:41 AM
George Oh  (Login RGeorgeO)
HyperScale Forums
from IP address 121.214.181.133

This is my almost-complete original Airfix model of the De Havilland Mosquito FB Mk.VI. The kit itself has numerous short-comings, but I decided to build it just for you lot. Already, there are those of you who are thinking that I got the guns wrong. Not so - because I wanted a 633 Sqn Mosquito.
BUT, this is NOT like the ones that you will see in the movie that is so well known to us. Mine is built using the description in the book "633 Squadron". See the book pre-dates the movie. So, my model is more accurate that those used for the movie - which were any Mozzies that were available - and expendable.
633 Sqn flew into the book in Boston medium bombers, but they were re-equipped with Mozzies for the raid. The Mozzies were fitted with bulged bomb bays so they could carry the 'earthquake' bombs. And the RAF hierarchy decided that sending them in without guns was too dangerous, so they gave the Mozzies 2 x 20mm cannon and 2 x 303" machineguns. But the Mozzies needed the room in their bomb bays for the bomb, so the cannon barrels HAD to project from the chin (and NOT project back into the bomb bay). And this is how I built MY Mozzie.
[IMG][linked image][/IMG]
I stayed with the Airfix colour scheme, and the movie squadron codes. But I had to make the letters out of white decal strips as that is all I had. I really wanted a 'C' because it was Gellibrand's (the Australian - I'm an Aussie myself) aircraft. But the 'E' was easier to make.
I've yet to paint the radiator fronts and exhaust shroud openings (black), the propeller tips (yellow), and add the antenna mast & line. And yes, I HAVE contaminated this Airfix kit with Tamiya wheels & shortened legs (they look better). Sorry.
George, out............
PS - my Hurri is still in several parts. Sorry!

This message has been edited by RGeorgeO from IP address 121.214.181.133 on May 26, 2012 7:51 AM

Respond to this message   
Responses

HyperScale's Group Build Guidelines

The objective of this Group Build is to encourage as many modellers as possible to build their kits and share their progress via words and photos on this Forum.

You are welcome to post general construction tips or relevant reference information and photos to this Forum too.

This Group Build will feature Airfix, Frog and Matchbox kits.

1. Build as many kits as you like

2. Conversions, aftermarket and scratchbuilding are all permitted.

3. Any markings are acceptable.

4. Document your progress and do a write-up on your build - where did you have trouble, what improvements did you make, what markings did you choose and why? It would be GREAT if everyone would do a writeup and submit it to HyperScale as a Feature Article.

Posting or replying to messages on The Group Build Forum requires visitors to register. If you have not already registered on one of HyperScale's other Forums, you will need to:

1. First register with Network 54, the Forum provider.Click here to register with Network 54.

2. Then, you can sign up for HyperScale's forums. Click here to sign up for HyperScale's forums.

Your user name and password will give you full posting privileges to all of HyperScale Forums.

free counters