Return to Index  

A time-warp back to the MFAKGB ....

May 28 2012 at 1:42 PM

Neil Scrimgeour  (Login neilscrim)
HyperScale Forums
from IP address 78.86.239.240

(for newcomers MFAKGB= My First Airfix Kit Group Build)

Long time lurkers to this area may remember I did a loco for the MFAK:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/578046/message/1310718750/

And before that build I'd converted an Airfix QLT into civilian guise specifically to go with the loco project.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/578046/message/1305127731/

I planned to build a little diorama for them with this kind of layout:

[linked image]

After this point, life got in the way but every now and then I dipped back into the project. My main problem was finding suitable figures. Now, you would have thought getting railway figures would have been easy, but no. The poses either weren't available or frighteningly expensive (£10+ for 6 figs and I only wanted 2). I wasn't getting anywhere so I decided to axe this layout.

The project was put on the back burner ... again. After a while I came up with another idea and built a bankside, the only problem was I couldn't include the QL. After much sucking of teeth I decided that this layout didn't work either.

[linked image]

Logic told me to re-start the whole diorama from scratch but I really couldn't be ar$ed to do that so I hatched another idea that allowed me to include the QL. What I needed was a building and some time ago I'd been given a couple of old Airfix signal boxes already pre-built.

[linked image]

They wouldn't work for my needs but I decided to use one of them as a skeleton for a new building. Out with the mini drill with its lethal cutting blade and I ended up with this:

[linked image]

After much planning (and more sucking of teeth) I built a couple of skins to go on the signal box.

[linked image]

These were glued onto the skeleton but it needed a fair bit of pre-planning work. The brick pattern walls look plain so I'll need to add bits of interest like lighting, pipes, fans, cabling, guardrail. BTW, the roof will probably be corrugated sheet.

Oh, one other thing, there'll be a guardrail by that door so someone won't go falling over the edge of the platform ... happy.gif

Who knows when the next 'gripping' installment will be posted, it's taken me months to get this far as it is happy.gif

[linked image]

Neil

If you wake up in the morning feeling like you've had it, be grateful.

http://www.neilscrim.co.uk

This message has been edited by neilscrim from IP address 78.86.239.240 on May 29, 2012 6:34 AM

Respond to this message   
Responses

HyperScale's Group Build Guidelines

The objective of this Group Build is to encourage as many modellers as possible to build their kits and share their progress via words and photos on this Forum.

You are welcome to post general construction tips or relevant reference information and photos to this Forum too.

This Group Build will feature Airfix, Frog and Matchbox kits.

1. Build as many kits as you like

2. Conversions, aftermarket and scratchbuilding are all permitted.

3. Any markings are acceptable.

4. Document your progress and do a write-up on your build - where did you have trouble, what improvements did you make, what markings did you choose and why? It would be GREAT if everyone would do a writeup and submit it to HyperScale as a Feature Article.

Posting or replying to messages on The Group Build Forum requires visitors to register. If you have not already registered on one of HyperScale's other Forums, you will need to:

1. First register with Network 54, the Forum provider.Click here to register with Network 54.

2. Then, you can sign up for HyperScale's forums. Click here to sign up for HyperScale's forums.

Your user name and password will give you full posting privileges to all of HyperScale Forums.

free counters